I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Miserable old git

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 08:42
As my name implies, or should imply, I'm normally a cheerful, optimistic sort of bloke. However well into my second three months-worth of Decapepty much of my normal Get Up & Go seems to have vanished, as well as any trace of libido. At 78, with a wife of a similar age, the loss of libido isn't a problem, but the lack of GU&G is. I'm involved in all sorts of activities, but I just can't seem to work up any enthusiasm for any of the things I'm supposed to do.

Anyone been these, got any ideas. If it goes on like this I'm in danger of sitting at the back doing nothing by the time I start my second year!
User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 16:51

From experience it did get better from about 9 months on. It helped by spreading the load across the day at an easy pace. From quite a fit guy I found it hard to accept a 4 bus stop walk was all HT would allow. However I slowly increased that with the knowledge I could always get the bus back. Within a couple of months a 4 mile walk was well within my energy levels.

Do try to get some fitness back.

Good luck

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 17:04

Thanks Andrew, Ray

I managed a 4 mile walk this morning with my local U3a Amblers Group; I’d arranged with someone to give me a lift, so had to go out and meet them. I think I’m probably OK when I’m actually being incentivised by being with others; it’s when I sit at my computer with a pile of letters and/or filing from my various activities that I’m flatter than normal.

9 months in sounds hopeful; I was diagnosed in September, everything was confirmed in October and the first Decap. was administered in November. The second was January and the next is due in mid April. We’re off on holiday in June to the warm, so that will probably do me good.
We’ve another holiday in May, but that’s Anglesey, so I’m not as optimistic about the weather there!

Andrew, I do like the quote from Groucho Marx. My thoughts exactly!

OKC

User
Posted 13 Mar 2017 at 19:35

Hi Guys,

I have just spent half the day relaying a patio, sieving shingle and messing around in the garden, I find the following help:

1 - I am not as young or as strong as I used to be, I accept this, so when I am doing something physical like patio laying, I do perhaps 15 minutes or half an hour and then stop before I feel I need to take a breather, make a coffee, check out the internet, and half an hour later I return to the physical work.  I find this way I can work all day, because I am actually only doing it half the time.

2 - There was something I read a few months ago about there being a particular chemical which prevents muscle degradation in the elderly, I can't think what it is called, but it is found in abundance just under the skin of apples, so I aim to eat an unpeeled apple every day.

3 - It was just about warm enough today, out of the wind, to work in the garden without a shirt, so right at the moment I am feeling fine, my Vitamin D levels topped up by a little sunshine.

:)

Dave  

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 05:40

Update at the end of July.

I’ve now started on Radiotherapy and have just had my second dose, so no side-effects experienced, or to be fair expected yet. At this stage the preparation is a bit tedious, but once I can forgo the enema things should be better.

Real hassle is the almost two hours it takes out of the day....... half an hour’s drive to the unit, half an hour of so there and half an hour back. And my route is alomg the A12, which is notoroius for hold-ups; just managed to avoid a massive one yesterday.

What I would commend is the attitude of the staffd at the unit; without fail...... so far at any rate...... whatever’s going on in their own lives they always seem cheerful and friendly. Makes such a difference.

I’m staying on the hormones for the moment, which are giving me sweats, but no other problems.

Anyone else go to Colchester?

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 07:30

Now you're talking!

Sadly, not since 26 April 2008 when the gates at Layer Road were locked for the last time. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 12:39

Like!!!!

Of course nowadays to get to the hospital I go past the Weston Park Stadium. Complex road layout!

Exercise is good for me, so in winter for football, I walk up the The Crops and watch Coggeshall Town. In the summer over to Harefield and watch Coggeshall Cricket. Both about a mile each way.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 12:55

Ahhhh, the Weston Homes Community Stadium, a magnificent example of a flat pack, bland, identikit, football stadium devoid of any character. I'm not bitter, honest guv!

I've had a pint or ten in the Woolpack and played a fair bit of cricket at Coggeshall's ground in the 60's and 70's. Coggeshall is a lovely little market town, one of the finest in north east Essex. Happy memories. Happy days.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2017 at 14:05

I can be found in the Woolpack most Sunday tea-times! And next week is Coggeshall Cricket Week (Tues-Fri) and Lashings on Sunday. So I shall be there, working my way along the 40 or so beers; 30 from Essex I expect and 10 from Middlesex.

Know what you mean about the Weston Homes Stadium.

User
Posted 07 Oct 2017 at 14:50

Finished my Radiotherapy three weeks ago and am getting back towards what was normal this time last year. Whether or not I’ll be able to improve on that I wonder.

Radiotherapy wasn’t as bad as I’d been led to expect from a ‘friend’ and as I posted earlier, the staff at Colchester were great.

Now waiting for the call to have the consultant review my situation. Wish I could stop the Decapeptyl injections though.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2018 at 11:31

Been a while since I posted, and, prostate wise, things seem OK. The consultant told me last November that I didn’t need the Decapeptyl any more, and I don’t think I’ve had a hot sweat since about the end of January.

I’ve taken to going back to the gym two or three times a week. Only about 35 minutes a session, but it’s a start.

User
Posted 26 Mar 2018 at 16:47

Great news - congratulations

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard