I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Different oncologist again

User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 14:40
Had my annual oncology appointment today. Already knew the PSA had held at 0.02 so all good there 😀

I quite liked him as he was very amenable. He suggested I have my future blood tests done via the GP which makes sense to me. However, he felt 6 monthly tests were more appropriate than yearly and he stressed I should keep an eye on the results as well as the GP (wise words). He said any rise and I need to make an appointment to see him.

I asked if he thought I was in remission or cured but he wouldn't commit. He then started talking about new treatment called radio surgery which is proving very effective in people who have mets. Er interesting as it is why are you telling me that 😫....

So all in all a positive visit. Hopefully nice as he was I won't see him again soon

Bri
User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 15:38
Lovely news Bri.

Sounds as though you can chill for a while now.
User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 15:43

Good news. Long may it continue.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 15:47

Great news Bri .... Enjoy the summer
Tom

User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 16:37

I'm very pleased to read your news, Bri.

May it continue like this for ever.

Lola.

User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 22:08
Fab news Bri I am so happy for you and I must admit I agree that 6 monthly tests are what I would opt for. To hell with the NHS budget😛
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 29 Mar 2017 at 22:29
Bri

Good news with the latest test, on one hand seeing someone different each time can be a pain, on the other hand you do get a mix of opinions and ideas.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 30 Mar 2017 at 01:16

Brilliant, even if you do keep having new doctors. Do you think the others had to retire after they had appointments with you?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 30 Mar 2017 at 07:45

I think the first one did😂

Bri

User
Posted 30 Mar 2017 at 11:35

Hi Brian

Thanks for update.   I think the answer re. 'cured or remission'  is maybe I don't ask the question ?

What will be will be ..   I do understand where you are coming from.   I think they (NHS)   have forgotten my 2 yr 'call up' (6 weeks over due  - so I will probably contact them next month if not heard anything.  I'm currently on 3 monthly PSA tests, (all via GP , who I never see). I  just ring up and organise myself - so in theory I could do nothing and 'call in'  4 monthly / 6 monthly or annual PSA tests      

My mind set,  is neither 'cured or remission' - maybe that's odd ?  Again if folk ask, I say I've had a RP etc / date /  and things are going fine.  I try and focus on keeping healthy, physically and emotionally.     

All the best

Gordon

User
Posted 31 Mar 2017 at 00:06

Great news Bri... :)

User
Posted 31 Mar 2017 at 07:44

Thanks guys

I contacted an old friend today who had his op in Jan 16. He had his first follow up yesterday, appalling really. But he informed me that his PSA result was a big fat zero. I thought he had got it wrong but nope he said the consultant said the PSA test was zero.

Interesting as for the first time in any of my consultations when I mentioned remission or cure the doc said "your PSA is not zero"

Now I know there is the possibility of PSA still being generated by non cancerous cells. But it does make me wonder why some men do not generate any if this is true

Bri

User
Posted 31 Mar 2017 at 08:04

You are at risk of overthinking Bri - it seems like you are starting to read messages into things the onco said. When the previous onco suggested you go to annual testing a number of us were dubious and we had an online discussion about you continuing to have a test in between times - this new onco has simply gone back to what we all know is a sensible monitoring route for someone that has had previous treatment. Like John, your magic 5 years will be 5 years after your RT not 5 years after the op. You asked the remission or cure question and now you are uncomfortable with the reply but you know that in the NHS the accepted learning is that people go into remission. And now you met someone who said their PSA was zero ... perhaps the onco was dumbing down or perhaps the person you met has remembered it slightly wrong or maybe the lab where he was tested has really old machines. You know that there is no such thing as a zero PSA and even if there is, 0.01 or 0.03 or 0.05 is so close to zero as to be almost zero anyway.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 21:12

Right so my latest PSA test is 0.03 still extremely low and almost negligible numbers. But at my appointment in March the oncologist said any rise and I should make an appointment to see him.
I hit my nadir of 0.01 in March 2016, November was 0.02 which held with the test in March and now the 0.03

So do I make an appointment? I know all the ultra-sensitive arguements but a steady rise is a steady rise. I will agree to call it a fluctuation when it dips again

Maybe I will ask for a test early in the New Year to see what's happening

Bri

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 22:41

Depends where your head is - if it is going to worry you and spoil Christmas then make the appointment sooner rather than later.

Just a thought but possible that these teeny tiny increases correspond to your dramatic change in personal fitness & increasingly challenging training routine?

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 22:46

Good point Lynn. It did cross my mind as I did do a quite taxing HIIT session the night before I gave blood. I have also learned that vigorous exercise can falsely elevate a number of other blood tests inc LFT's

Bri