Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hormones plus RT - treatment now completed

User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 15:46

A follow-up message from my post of 24 March:

My treatment of 20 radiotherapy sessions is now complete. At the moment I have no side effects, no loose bowels, itchy skin etc, jut feel rather tired.  It has been now nearly 8 months since diagnosis (see my profile). I was given the choice of surgery or radiotherapy plus hormones. Both the urologist and the oncologist said this treatment would "aim for a cure" , so now I just have to wait for the next PSA test in 6 months.

I am writing to say to those newly diagnosed and facing these treatment options, that the hormone plus radiotherapy route is completely tolerable and has no downside that I can see.  My research indicates statistics to show that the outcome is equivalent for either route, for my stage of cancer, but the side effects are not. For me the choice was clear. This is a totally non invasive treatment with hardly the smallest discomfort, which is also effective.

Paul

User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 15:46

A follow-up message from my post of 24 March:

My treatment of 20 radiotherapy sessions is now complete. At the moment I have no side effects, no loose bowels, itchy skin etc, jut feel rather tired.  It has been now nearly 8 months since diagnosis (see my profile). I was given the choice of surgery or radiotherapy plus hormones. Both the urologist and the oncologist said this treatment would "aim for a cure" , so now I just have to wait for the next PSA test in 6 months.

I am writing to say to those newly diagnosed and facing these treatment options, that the hormone plus radiotherapy route is completely tolerable and has no downside that I can see.  My research indicates statistics to show that the outcome is equivalent for either route, for my stage of cancer, but the side effects are not. For me the choice was clear. This is a totally non invasive treatment with hardly the smallest discomfort, which is also effective.

Paul

User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 16:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

For me the choice was clear. This is a totally non invasive treatment with hardly the smallest discomfort, which is also effective.

Paul

that was the reason for me too. Though 37 treatments and 6 months HT. Tiredness set in for me just after the last session of RT, ended up with  months off work due to fatigue. Still having hot flushes 6 months after last implant. though less severe and less frequent too now.

Well done with avoiding all the drawbacks, enjoy the success.

toad

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 20:42

Hi Tony,
it is often reported that the side effects take as long to wear off as they took to develop so if you saw side effects almost immeiately after starting your HT you should see an improvement very quickly. Side effects that didn't kick in for a long time and then slowly became more pronounced you may be stuck with for far longer.

John was only on HT for 6 months - his libido returned very quickly. Some side effects are usually permanent ... man boobs for example.

What makes you think the depression is a side efect of HT? Is it not more likely to be as a result of being diagnosed with cancer and having horrible treatment? If so, stopping HT will not eradicate the cause of the depression overnight.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 08:28

Glad that's over with for you Paul and fingers crossed for your first PSA

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Apr 2017 at 09:28
Pleased you have not suffered any side effects, personally I've had many, some only began months after RT complete. Hope you stay lucky
User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 16:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

For me the choice was clear. This is a totally non invasive treatment with hardly the smallest discomfort, which is also effective.

Paul

that was the reason for me too. Though 37 treatments and 6 months HT. Tiredness set in for me just after the last session of RT, ended up with  months off work due to fatigue. Still having hot flushes 6 months after last implant. though less severe and less frequent too now.

Well done with avoiding all the drawbacks, enjoy the success.

toad

User
Posted 19 Apr 2017 at 18:42

Hi Paul,
Your up date gives me great hope. I've just started the same journey as you undertook for very much the same reasons as your own. I'm 6 days into HT with Biculatamide and scheduled to have a 1 month Zoladex implant after 14 days and a 3 month implant a month later. I just hope I'm as fortunate as you have been, thanks for sharing your experiences.
Ian

If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there!
User
Posted 04 May 2017 at 17:27

Hi,

My dad has just stated on Casodex on Tuesday and he will then have radiotherapy we think after 3 months.

We are trying to make light the possible side effects, hoping he isn't affected too badly but i suppose it will take a few weeks for them to kick in.

As you have been through this do you have any advice i can give to my dad?

Thanks!

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 17:34

Hi Paul - really informative reading your experience and a great help - heres hoping for more possitive updates.

I am in the position of choosing treatment route at the moment but am leaning towards 3 month hormones followed by RT much as you have been through. One thing I would be keen to learn is if the side effects experienced with the hormone therapy diminish when you stop taking them - particularly on the mental side (depression & libido). It may be that the effect of having RT just takes over and its hard to tell the side effects as being specific to HT or RT but I would be keen to know if you can tell if the hormone effects diminish when stopped.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 17:57

Will be very variable between guys. Besides RT I was on HT for sometime. Started to have notable improvement circa 6 months after HT ended then a further 6 to be about the best it was going to get.

Ray

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 20:42

Hi Tony,
it is often reported that the side effects take as long to wear off as they took to develop so if you saw side effects almost immeiately after starting your HT you should see an improvement very quickly. Side effects that didn't kick in for a long time and then slowly became more pronounced you may be stuck with for far longer.

John was only on HT for 6 months - his libido returned very quickly. Some side effects are usually permanent ... man boobs for example.

What makes you think the depression is a side efect of HT? Is it not more likely to be as a result of being diagnosed with cancer and having horrible treatment? If so, stopping HT will not eradicate the cause of the depression overnight.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 12:19

Thanks Lyn - your insight and information is much appreciated.

As to depression - there is a world of difference between feeling depressed and suffering clinical depression. Yes I agree it would be normal to feel depressed for anyone going through this and possibly because of this some people have reported depression as a side effect when its not actually clinical depression ?