Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Experiences of high dose rate brachytherapy

User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 00:18
Hello, I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago.
I have stage T2 with Gleason of 3+4, and psa of 10.
Although it seems to be contained it appears to be close to the nerves surrounding the prostate which makes nerve sparing RP unlikely to succeed.
I have been offered high dose brachetherapy, without HT and without the follow up external beam radiotherapy.
This seems to be quite a good option to me, but I would welcome views/experiences from others.
User
Posted 20 Apr 2017 at 18:06

Seems a reasonable course of action although if you were my husband / brother / father I would want to understand a little more of their thinking on you not having HT - it may be belt & braces but I would still ask the question if I could.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Jun 2017 at 20:24

Hi Peewee,

My husband was diagonosed recently, psa 17, T3 Gleason 4+3=7. He went in for prostate removal but unfortunately they couldn't proceed due to scar tissue from previous surgery.  When I spoke to the surgeon, he said he was surprised we had opted for this treatment, as he would of recommend HT the brachytherapy plus conventional RT.  I was quite surprised by this response as we were advised by another surgeon that this was the best option for Dave.  2nd surgeon explain that both treatments were equally as effective  but he preferred plan B.  Dave is in his second week of HT implant and will start brachytherapy in August  He  says he feels like he has a spring in his step (excluding the hot flushes) I personally think the spring in his step is the natural highs in the 2 pints of natural juices Im making him drink a day lol.  A bit of a journey but we will get there. 

Peewee, I am no expert, but I would ask so many questions 

Good luck 

User
Posted 23 Dec 2017 at 21:59

You already have at least intermediate risk due to GS 7a.
Low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy with I-131 seeds is more suitable for low risk patients. For people with intermediate and high risk a curative treatment is only possible with operation or external beam radiotherapy + HDR brachytherapy or definitive RT (IMRT or proton therapy). Only HDR brachytherapy as monotherapy is still in experimental study.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2017 at 23:08
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You already have at least intermediate risk due to GS 7a.
Low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy with I-131 seeds is more suitable for low risk patients. For people with intermediate and high risk a curative treatment is only possible with operation or external beam radiotherapy + HDR brachytherapy or definitive RT (IMRT or proton therapy). Only HDR brachytherapy as monotherapy is still in experimental study.

No Safinamo, you are wrong. Things have moved on since whatever paper or website you are googling / copying from. Plus this post was 8 months ago so a bit late for your 'advice'
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Jun 2023 at 08:20

Hi Peewee.

I hope you are still on this forum.

I’ve recently been offered 2 x HDR sessions, similar prostate cancer to yourself.

please can you let me know your experience to date of the treatment?

kind regards

Gary

User
Posted 14 Jun 2023 at 11:13
Sometimes, there is not a lot to chose between several treatment approaches and consultants have their preferences. Also, the procedure should be based on how a patient individually presents also taking into account how the patient feels if possible.

In this situation I would also seek the opinion of an Oncologist, if you have not yet done so, particularly concerning the aspect of supplemental RT.
Barry