Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad just diagnosed today

User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 00:00
Hi,

I have found out today that my lovely Dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. All I know is it is T3 Gleason 9 and it is locally advanced.

He is starting chemo next week, then followed by radiotherapy. From what I have managed to read so far I gather this is not the best it could be in terms of diagnosis. My thought is there must be another angle to this if they are running with chemo.

I am hugely mind boggled at the moment, as well as feeling all of the crazy emotions that go with a loved one being diagnosed with cancer.

If anyone is able to give me some more info on treatments and what this all means please? Also any advice on how to support him would be amazing.

Thank you!

S xxx

User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 08:31

Hello Steffaffles and welcome to the site.

Yes Gleason 9 is serious but he is being treated so hold onto that thought.

Don't confuse the giving of chemo with worst case scenarios because as far as Prostate Cancer is concerned it is often given to enhance the treatment. It doesn't mean dad has been given it as a last resort.

There are many on here who will have the experience you need and I'm sure that now I've bumped you up the list they will be along to advise you.

If you go to Publications on this site there is the Toolkit which you can download and which is full of information which might be useful.

How can you help him? Well you're already doing that by supporting him and trying to find info for him. IT does help when he goes for appointments if somebody goes with him as there is such a lot to take in.

Try not to do general Google research as sometimes the stories are not relevant to your situation and it only produces fear.

If you have questions come back and ask them. Somebody is likely to know the answer. By the way, no question is considered as stupid or inappropriate if it is Prostate cancer related so ask away.

In the meantime, best wishes to you both

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 08:41

hi,steff please dont panic,i was dx in 2014 with locally advanced t3b no mo im doing ok,i did not have the advantage of early chemo then,which people are having now seems people with early chemo then rt do better,i am sure there will be people on here who have had early chemo will let you know,hope that helps.

User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 14:38

Hi Steff
My OH is also Gleason 9 ,we felt as if life was over but 18 months later having been through chemo virtually with no side effects he is still working full time in a manual job .yes mentally some times have been challenging but we have tried to stay positive .
Gary PSA has dropped to undetectable and because he is on the stampede trial arm j he has blood tests 4 weekly and sees the consultant 8 weekly .Because he had lymph node involvement he wasn't offered radiotherapy so I can't advise you on that .
We feel lucky in some ways as chemo was only offered as a last resort but after trials it was found the chemo helped by offering it earlier on .
Try to keep positive and any info needed someone will always come along to give advice
Best wishes
Debby

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 08:31

Hello Steffaffles and welcome to the site.

Yes Gleason 9 is serious but he is being treated so hold onto that thought.

Don't confuse the giving of chemo with worst case scenarios because as far as Prostate Cancer is concerned it is often given to enhance the treatment. It doesn't mean dad has been given it as a last resort.

There are many on here who will have the experience you need and I'm sure that now I've bumped you up the list they will be along to advise you.

If you go to Publications on this site there is the Toolkit which you can download and which is full of information which might be useful.

How can you help him? Well you're already doing that by supporting him and trying to find info for him. IT does help when he goes for appointments if somebody goes with him as there is such a lot to take in.

Try not to do general Google research as sometimes the stories are not relevant to your situation and it only produces fear.

If you have questions come back and ask them. Somebody is likely to know the answer. By the way, no question is considered as stupid or inappropriate if it is Prostate cancer related so ask away.

In the meantime, best wishes to you both

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 08:41

hi,steff please dont panic,i was dx in 2014 with locally advanced t3b no mo im doing ok,i did not have the advantage of early chemo then,which people are having now seems people with early chemo then rt do better,i am sure there will be people on here who have had early chemo will let you know,hope that helps.

User
Posted 09 May 2017 at 14:38

Hi Steff
My OH is also Gleason 9 ,we felt as if life was over but 18 months later having been through chemo virtually with no side effects he is still working full time in a manual job .yes mentally some times have been challenging but we have tried to stay positive .
Gary PSA has dropped to undetectable and because he is on the stampede trial arm j he has blood tests 4 weekly and sees the consultant 8 weekly .Because he had lymph node involvement he wasn't offered radiotherapy so I can't advise you on that .
We feel lucky in some ways as chemo was only offered as a last resort but after trials it was found the chemo helped by offering it earlier on .
Try to keep positive and any info needed someone will always come along to give advice
Best wishes
Debby