I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Turp or not to Turp

User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 16:09

Hi all, Im 63 and have diagnosed with T3b into seminal glands cancer Gleason score of 7.

Whilst I am on the hormone patch trial and everything is going ok...I am advised that i will need the turp operation to increase my flow rate.

My dilema is that personally i dont feel i have a problem with the flow....ok....I can't fill a bucket within 3.8 seconds but i still pee when i want and don't feel urgency to go nor do i get up at night a multitude of times to do the same...so why do I need this opp?.

I understand that RT will mess with the flow a little...so why cant a catherter be fitted untill thing settle or cic self use catherter....

what other option are there untill I get called up to the Urologyst i am wondering has anyone else in or has been in the same boat?

Answers on a post card please...or here will do ..

Del

User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 19:54

Hi I have only been on this site a week .I am not that knowledgeable but if it any help I had a Turp   op recovered in 2days flow was very good. I am 3+4 and just finished my second of four weeks of radiotherapy. So far so good  Feeling good  but tired. Probably doesn't help you if you have to have it done but I found it not a problem. Keep well

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 10:15

I don't know why they want to do a TURP if flow is OK ?
My husband had 2 because of poor flow. His cancer had also gone to a seminal vesicle.
I would question the reasons for a TURP.
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can advise you one way or another.
Maz.

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 13:30

As my profile shows I opted for different meds rather than a Turps to avoid any risk of spread. This was thought to be the reason why one member, who sadly is no longer with us, came out of remission.

Did you answer a serious of questions re waterworks—as the total score can be of more importance than one or two low scores. Have you had a flow test—did that show retaining too much water even though you might feel like bladder is empty?

If via NHS they don’t spend monies lightly so can’t see them offering it if not needed but as first paragraph shows we each make choices

Good luck on your PCa journey

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 19:00

Just to welcome you Del as I don't have the knowledge to comment.

Hopefully, somebody will be along to advise you

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 19:03
Thank you Sandra...early days yet.😊
User
Posted 19 May 2017 at 19:54

Hi I have only been on this site a week .I am not that knowledgeable but if it any help I had a Turp   op recovered in 2days flow was very good. I am 3+4 and just finished my second of four weeks of radiotherapy. So far so good  Feeling good  but tired. Probably doesn't help you if you have to have it done but I found it not a problem. Keep well

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 10:15

I don't know why they want to do a TURP if flow is OK ?
My husband had 2 because of poor flow. His cancer had also gone to a seminal vesicle.
I would question the reasons for a TURP.
Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can advise you one way or another.
Maz.

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 11:33
thanks Phil for that all I see at the moment is doom and gloom on these forum sites....I did wonder if there where any successful recipients. ..which I am sure there are many...can I ask where your procedure was done and by who ? Thanks again for your info.😊 Del
User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 11:36
Thanks Maz...will do have appointment with urologist 10 June..

Hope your other half is coping well.

Del😊

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 13:30

As my profile shows I opted for different meds rather than a Turps to avoid any risk of spread. This was thought to be the reason why one member, who sadly is no longer with us, came out of remission.

Did you answer a serious of questions re waterworks—as the total score can be of more importance than one or two low scores. Have you had a flow test—did that show retaining too much water even though you might feel like bladder is empty?

If via NHS they don’t spend monies lightly so can’t see them offering it if not needed but as first paragraph shows we each make choices

Good luck on your PCa journey

Ray

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 21:46

Hi Del I had Tarp done at Birmingham Queen Elizabeth was in ward with 3 others who had a Turp. That's how my cancer was found was up and about 24 hours.  Hormone tablets make me tired and a bit moody but regarding Turp.none of us had problem. Have a chat with urologist and ask him who is doing op and how many ops has he done. Keep well Phil

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 02:25

Ray,

If you are thinking of the same much missed member as me, he had two turps and it may have been coincidental but this did seem to raise the rise in his PSA and I did wonder at the time whether without these the rise would have been so steep. Also, he choose his own parameters on the PSA levels to start IHT and to come off it rather than what his onco recommended. But as he used to say "Life is for Living" and he had 15 years from diagnosis.

There has to be a risk, albeit a small one, that a Turp, biopsy or Prostatectomy may in the process cause some cancerous cells to be released in the process.

Barry
User
Posted 26 May 2017 at 20:50

I had  a turp and I did not know it at the time but I then lost the use of my bottom splinter valve, then when I had RT six months later I then became incontainent  as my top valve got well and truly RTdddddddd still incontainent today average pad usage 10/12 pads per day, was I warned of this was I heck, have a good chat with your Uro

Barry

Edited by member 26 May 2017 at 20:57  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Sep 2017 at 17:59
well guys I had it done. ..was OK to start in one day out the next was going OK a few times at night ...never done that before drinking lots of water...then bang clott retention into A&E in agony readmitted catheter fitted stayed over night .left next day with catheter still on and kept for 2 weeks.then removed..peeing more at night but getting better and improving all the time except for one thing....since catheter was removed peeing has been good but get an awful pain at the end of peeing not at the start and not during at the end ...why....it's been a while since the catheter was taken off but still have this pain...will see the urologist in over a week but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
User
Posted 29 Sep 2017 at 08:35

Yes, I remember the pain at the end of flow. I was more concerned with the surgeon having found cancer at the time so forgot to ask about it. I assumed it was just healing of the inside of my prostate and the nerves just taking a while to tell my body that they hurt. The pain went after a few weeks and I had no more trouble.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2017 at 08:56

Thanks tony for your reply....I know i probably should contact the ur nurse...but like you thought it was part of the healing process ..its just been going on for a while ....I hope all has gone well for you and your cancer is/has been sorted http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif