I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Results and advice

User
Posted 07 Jun 2017 at 22:00
Hi. I'm new to this site. My dad who is 79 was diagnosed 8 years ago with prostrate cancer and has been on hormone therapy with excellent results. His PSA had been 0.1 (ish). He had the injections every 3 months. Last year it went up to 5.5. 6 months ago it was 10. A year ago he changed gp's and they decided to change his injections to every 6 months. Today he was told his osa level was 57!. He had an appointment with urology next week to discuss. I guess a bone scan and then discuss again. His urologist discharged him to his GP years ago as he was doing so well. I'm not sure how serious a level of 57 is. I'm not sure how to interpret it. Any help much appreciated x
User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 01:21

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to this forum but sorry you join us due to the change in your dad's situation. Unfortunately, PCa does sometimes begin to become a problem again some time, even years after treatment has restrained it. We don't know dad's original diagnosis and full histology and it would be helpful for members to know this to include what treatment other than HT (if any) he had and when, also when he had PSA tests and what these were in the interim so the rate of rise can be seen. A PSA of 57 is of real concern and assuming a serious infection has been ruled out, I would have thought might give rise to another form of treatment being recommended. This is likely to depend on what treatment Dad has already had, what scans have previously shown and the assessment of his consultant. which could affect what further scans (if any) would be appropriate. I am rather surprised that his PSA having risen to 10 six months ago, it appears to have been left for 6 months before another PSA test was done and that a meeting with his consultant had not already taken place to discuss tests and or options several months ago.

Edited by member 08 Jun 2017 at 01:24  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 08:15

In addition to Barry's comments you might want to check this thing about the hormone injection being changed to 6 monthly. I wasn't aware that they even make a 6 month version! The big rise might be because he hasn't had the injections often enough rather than a new treatment being needed.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard