I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone Scan v MRI Scan

User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 13:23
I was diagnosed with T3, Gleason 9 PC 2.5 yrs ago, now in the latter stages of my treatment I have been having problems with severe pain in my spine, back,hip and upper leg (thigh). My GP has put me on high dose Transtec patches, but it is only morphine that gives me any significant relief. My GP is arranging for me to have an MRI scan as the radiological consultant has told her that as the pain is only in the lower part of the body it is unlikely to be related to the PC and a bone scan would not be able to tell the difference between OA and Cancer. I have done some reading (especially) on the NHS website which indicates that this is incorrect. Can anyone offer any advise. I was 56 when I was originally diagnosed.
User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 15:33

In your situation I would be pushing for both. But what do you mean by latter stages of treatment? What treatment have you had?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 10:32

If the MRI is inclusive, then the bone scan is vital.

Sure there might be some difficulty in interpreting the results ... but that's his job. You don't just 'not do' a test because the results may be ambiguous!