I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New in here

User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 20:59
Well!! Isn't this a busy website!! I'm actually overwhelmed with how many men have to face up to this cancer!! So I've registered on here as my 70 year old dad has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer... 3 weeks ago at diagnosis his PSA was 318, he's been on hormone therapy for the past 3 weeks and it's came down to 1.07.... phenomenal!! It's crazy how quickly it's came down! However we're not out the woods just yet, he's had both bone and organ scans done but we're still waiting to hear the results (been told it'll be next week) hes had his biopsy though, 6 cores were taken and all 6 were positive, his Gleason score is 9, and that's all we know so far. She also said that they can't remove it, its aggressive and it's been there for some time.

I guess I'm just wanting to see if that can drop dramically like that in 3 weeks, could it go away completely? The urologist was very pleased with his PSA results so I guess that's a good thing that his system is reacting really well to treatment?! I know we can still get bad news if it's spread but if it hasn't could it be managed?

User
Posted 23 Jun 2017 at 17:59

Chemo is so simple, just a couple of hours in an armchair having the infusion, then drive home, repeat every three weeks. Parking at the hospital is a bigger problem than the process itself! There are side effects of course. In my experience the first week is unpleasant, the second is a recovery week then the third is back to normal.

AC

User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 21:23

Hello Letitia and welcome to the site.

As far as I'm aware HT does not cure aggressive cancer but can act to reduce the tumour.

As it can't be removed has any other treatment (other than the HT) been suggested?

We have men on here with very high PSA and scores of Gleason 9 and I'm sure somebody with that experience will be along to advise advise you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 22:09

I think the doctor has tried (maybe not very clearly) to tell you that they already have reason to think it may have spread. The main indication for that is the fact that they have started him on hormones before all the test results are back. It could also be that they could feel the tumour when they felt the prostate. However, spread does not mean that dad is living on borrowed time - we have had some members on here who have lived 10 years and more with bone mets or lymph nodes affected - it all depends on how long the hormones work.

The hormone treatment (HT) is starving the cancer of testosterone - if the cancer can't feed, it stops multiplying and the PSA falls. As you say, getting such a good drop in PSA so quickly is very good news. Hope all goes well with the results appointment next week.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 17:25

Letitia, I'm a Gleason 9 with high initial PSA (63) of ten years vintage, aged 73. I have had lymph node involvement, only noted in the past year or so. I think that PSA reduction you reported is fantastic and you should draw great comfort from that. There are many more treatment options available now than there were for me, though mid-ten cycle chemo, I'm catching up fast.

Just a word of warning - sometimes PSA can bounce around a bit, so be prepared for ups and downs in numbers as well as emotions, but I advise positive thinking, good balanced diet, plenty of exercise and living for the day, in confidence​ that there should be hundreds more ahead, PCa spread or not.

Good Luck.

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 21:23

Hello Letitia and welcome to the site.

As far as I'm aware HT does not cure aggressive cancer but can act to reduce the tumour.

As it can't be removed has any other treatment (other than the HT) been suggested?

We have men on here with very high PSA and scores of Gleason 9 and I'm sure somebody with that experience will be along to advise advise you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 22:06
Thank you for a quick reply!

We're not sure yet of treatment options although they did mention chemo or radiotherapy, we won't get the treatment plan until next Thursday.

User
Posted 21 Jun 2017 at 22:09

I think the doctor has tried (maybe not very clearly) to tell you that they already have reason to think it may have spread. The main indication for that is the fact that they have started him on hormones before all the test results are back. It could also be that they could feel the tumour when they felt the prostate. However, spread does not mean that dad is living on borrowed time - we have had some members on here who have lived 10 years and more with bone mets or lymph nodes affected - it all depends on how long the hormones work.

The hormone treatment (HT) is starving the cancer of testosterone - if the cancer can't feed, it stops multiplying and the PSA falls. As you say, getting such a good drop in PSA so quickly is very good news. Hope all goes well with the results appointment next week.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 17:25

Letitia, I'm a Gleason 9 with high initial PSA (63) of ten years vintage, aged 73. I have had lymph node involvement, only noted in the past year or so. I think that PSA reduction you reported is fantastic and you should draw great comfort from that. There are many more treatment options available now than there were for me, though mid-ten cycle chemo, I'm catching up fast.

Just a word of warning - sometimes PSA can bounce around a bit, so be prepared for ups and downs in numbers as well as emotions, but I advise positive thinking, good balanced diet, plenty of exercise and living for the day, in confidence​ that there should be hundreds more ahead, PCa spread or not.

Good Luck.

AC

User
Posted 22 Jun 2017 at 20:18
Thank you for your reply!

I'm expecting quite a rollercoaster ahead, as is my dad. Dreading next week to be honest but I guess it'll get the ball rolling. We've booked a big family holiday for next October so I'm hoping that'll keep him focussed and give him something to look forward to! Haven't looked at insurance mind you but can look at that nearer the time.

Can I ask, how has the chemo been? How does it work? Do you go into hospital and stay for a few days at a time or that? Sorry I'm really naive when it comes to things like this, I've always been one of these people that think 'it'll never happen to me' but it normally always does!

Hope you have loads of family and friends around you for support AC!!

User
Posted 23 Jun 2017 at 17:59

Chemo is so simple, just a couple of hours in an armchair having the infusion, then drive home, repeat every three weeks. Parking at the hospital is a bigger problem than the process itself! There are side effects of course. In my experience the first week is unpleasant, the second is a recovery week then the third is back to normal.

AC