I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New to PCuk

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 21:26
Hi Im new to this site but have been on other sites for approx 18 months when I was first diagnosed with PC in Jan 16, had my prostate removed in March 16 gleeson score 4+3 PSA.7

PC came back in Oct 16 had 33 sessions of radiotherapy in Feb/March 17 my PSA doubling time was 4 weeks prior to radiotherapy.

The radiotherapy didn't do much either as it still climbed during treatment to 2.1 it did slow down a little to but has now increased again ;-( about to start hormone treatment and possibly early chemo & also metformin I guess just trying to hit it with everything.

Thought I should come onto a UK site seeing as I live here and have been for 15yrs.

At 56yrs of age I didn't expect to be told I have approx 4 to 5 yrs left.

Anyway everyone from the NHS to PCuk

have all been extremely nice as have the people I have met along the way on forums and Maggies centre.

Hope to speak to some of you along the way as well.

Take care ooroo

Gary

User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 22:59

Hi Gary
Welcome to this fab site, but sorry you find yourself here. My dad has/had prostate cancer, Weekends are usually quiet on here but I'm sure you will get lots of freindly help and advice from the lovely ppl on here, I don't feel I have the knowledge to offer advice,I'm bumping you up and I'm sure the more knowledgable members will be along soon,
Stay strong

Viv
X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 08 Jul 2017 at 23:02
Hi Gary - I had a prostatectomy in December 2016. Thankfully, my PSA has been both low and stable at 0.014. However, with Gleason 9 and positive margins, I don't think it's going to end well. That's not me being negative - it's statistically the most likely outcome. And that's hard as I'm only 46. So, I understand when you say it's hard knowing you may have only four or five years left. What I will say though is this - there are many men on here who defy the odds and they give hope and encouragement to us all.

I think I'll eventually end up on a similar treatment pathway as you. My oncologist has always said that, but we all still keep our fingers crossed that it won't be necessary.

Stay strong. Other members with better medical knowledge and more experience will be along soon.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 20:00

Gary, what idiot told you you only have 4-5 years left. It just ain't so. Nobody knows and no responsible oncologist would put a number on it. Having said that, I was told ten years ago to live every day as if it might be the last and hope for five years. Wrong! With pretty high PSA number and Gleason score, I'm still battling on, enjoying life and I think you should, too.

There are lots more treatment options available now than ten years ago and I guess that you will shortly learn of them. My advice? Don't panic, stay positive and yes, enjoy, every day of the rest of your life. A positive outlook prolongs life, I believe!

Good Luck.

AC

User
Posted 09 Jul 2017 at 20:41

Gary, further to your prognosis, there are several of us on here who are past the 12 years.
Only HIM upstairs can decide when we join him!

User
Posted 10 Jul 2017 at 08:04
Hi Gary

I don't know who told you that prognosis either, but my hubby was told a couple of years at the outset by an idiot oncologist and nearly seven years later with a Gleason score of 10 and spread to bones and lymph, he is still here. He was 61 at diagnosis and swore he'd make 70, I've asked him to revise that as he's 68 now, please don't think this is the end, many people do live much longer than their prognosis, besides, who knows? most doctors won't even say these days.

Chin up, don't be afraid to post any worries, we will always try to help.

Cheers

Devonmaid