I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Travel insurance company

User
Posted 11 Jul 2017 at 17:48
Hi all I have posted about hubby on another conversation but want to ask about travel insurance . He has had scan results today and PC contained no spread anyway we have Annual insurance .Last week I contacted them and they ask if spread I said don't know until today .They said they need to know so would contact me today .I rang them hubby answered questions they say have to ask underwriters rand back said no ! Why did they not say in the beginning I have gone mad I even said I would pay extra they say they will continue to cover other medical but not PC .Hes on HT started today then RT in about 3 months hospital happy for travel and said give letter but insurance won't budge . Hubby says let them exclude it and stay with them advice please .is this a bad move ? Also stupid question but I'm looking on travel insurance sites one question is Are you currently on a waiting list for treatment or investigations as hubby has been told he will be having RT in 3/4 months time is that classed as a waiting list ? Or not Answering yes doubles the price

Edited by member 11 Jul 2017 at 20:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2017 at 20:37

Have you tried Insurewith.com? If you go to the Macmillian site they have a list of companies that people have recommend, just put a search in Travel insurance, the first page is 2014 but if you go to the last page there are more recent recommendations. Hope this helps

User
Posted 11 Jul 2017 at 20:46
Thank you I went on compare the market and found one that's with the company I'm with phoned company they say yes but when you go through it won't cover PC so I clicked on buy it still offered cover .Only thing is if I put yes on waiting list they don't offer quote so I want to know hubby having treatment in 3/4 months but no date given that's not a waiting list is it ? .i have emailed them the quote I understood a waiting list as being you move up a list when waiting for something like an op or a house .
User
Posted 11 Jul 2017 at 21:36

Sometimes banks provide free cover as one of the perks of having an account with them or offer cheap insurance. My bank gave a lower quote than any other insurer last year and I tried quite a number. This was for a two week cruise visiting ports as far as St Petersberg. I did carry my own risk on PCa though (as I have always done). PCa is generally slow growing and holidays can be arranged to avoid critical times. However, if/when PCa advances to a certain point where urgent intervention might be a possibility, I would pay extra for the cover.

Barry
User
Posted 12 Jul 2017 at 09:05
Thank you as I said started Hormones last night and nurse defer injection till back from hols so staying on tablets hubby has no aches and pains other than normal ones a 66 year old man gets from time to time and working full time so he is happy to go with out cover for the PC it's just me fretting that he might have side effects from HT .
User
Posted 12 Jul 2017 at 11:15
Just to update our travel insures say it's because we on Annual policy so can't cover so I have had Annual policy refunded and bought single trip with everything covered cost me extra £36 so pleased .
User
Posted 12 Jul 2017 at 11:18

He has treatment scheduled for a few months time; the delay is part of the treatment protocol, so he is NOT on a waiting list, he is 'active treatment' (even if not much is happening yet!)

Nationwide do a great travel insurance policy: there will be an extra charge (rather than free), but it's pretty competitive - if you have any account with them.

If he's having HT by injection, he WILL have side effects, such as fatigue, hot flushes and night sweats (they are close to universal). But they're no reason not to carry on living, quite the reverse!

User
Posted 12 Jul 2017 at 13:29
Thanks for reply he's on tablets for 4 weeks as nurse thought better option to delay injection while we away then injection plus anothe 2 weeks tablets then just monthly injections . We are just relieved it hadn't spread but know there's still a long road to tread bless him . Even though his PSA was only 6.4 we still worried and the added stress with travel insurance wasn't good . We were told about tiredness etc Dr said to him but like the me pause your wife went through years ago at which my hubby laughed .Anyway onwards and upwards your support on here's brilliant .Any tips for me on how to cope with side effects of HT although we are on hols soon so can chill .
User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 17:33

I have travel insurance with my Lloyds bank account. We are going on a cruise in March so I phoned the insurers to check if still covered. They are quite happy to cover me except for any PCa related issues. So delay, baggage accidents etc still covered with no added premium.

If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there!
User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 15:03

I have experienced refusals to cover, a friend has advised that I join the Nation Federation of Occupational Pensioners https://w
ww.nfop.org.uk/

They apparently (I haven't joined yet but I will) will give health cover only stipulating that you must be fit to travel. If the doc has not barred you from travelling then you will be covered. This is until you are 80 years old.

Might be worth a try?

John

Gleason 6 = 3+3 PSA 8.8 P. volume 48 cc Left Cores 3/3, Volume = 20% PSA 10.8 Feb '19 PSA 1.2

Jan '20 PSA 0.3 July '20 0.1 Jan. 21 < 0.1 Dec 21 <0.01 June '22 <0.01 April '23  <0.01

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 17:02
Hi Peggy.

I was DX almost 3 years ago and managed to get insurance for Pca at around £120 for two weeks. I have used Go Travel, Stay sure and Let's Go. During that period I had RP, RT and HT.

But when I was DX with spread to bone in Dec they all refuses I strange although one of them did offer insurance but this was £650 for a week, I just reduced it to cover with Pca without spread and paid £120.

As soon as you input spread to bones they all shy away from it. Some people I know don't bother with insurance now and just take their chances, which I don't recommend. I still plan to go abroad as much as possible so just means I have to pay for 3 people 8nstead of 2.

Sandy

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 18:59

Hi Sandy, surely if you have now put not spread to bones but it has you wont be covered for PC at all?

regards barbara

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 19:06

I am insured with UK Insurance.  You need to have a Nationwide Flex Plus account.  They cover my PCa.  I had a prostatectomy so our circumstances are different, but they're probably worth checking out.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 09:45

Hi Peggy
my husband has just got a years cover with with travelinsurance4medical.co.uk. he paid £341 for a years cover. he is 73 spread to lymph nodes plus he has had a stroke some while ago, he has chronic kidney disease stage 5. we are going to Indonesia, most companies either wouldn't cover him at all or wanted over a thousand for 2 weeks.

worth a look .
regards barbara

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 09:59
Hi Peggy,

We had mortgage cover with Aviva until our mortgage was paid off, the PC was diagnosed just before our mortgage was paid off, we decided to change the cover for life assurance with Aviva making it more economical, my OH was accepted I was declined. However we did get travel insurance with them costing more than it did in the past, although it won't cover me for any PC related illness whilst on holiday.

Kind Regards

James

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 11:24

Hi Peggy,

Our travel insurance is with my Nat West bank account underwritten by AXA. They accepted my husband when he was first diagnosed with pca and also covered me for breast cancer, we paid an additional £240 for a years cover. As others have said, you can exclude pre-existing conditions and we were offered tat option. One thing to be aware of is whether they cover you for any possible side effects of medication prescribed for the pca. For me, I am on Tamoxifen and there is a slightly increased of blood clots. If I hadn't had cover for the breast cancer/Tamoxifen if I had experienced a blood clot overseas, I would not have been insured. Just a point worth considering.

Good luck

Jo

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 15:13
Hi Barbara.

I did declare my Pcs as spread to lymph nodes only and just played dumb about mets.

I had just been DX with mets a day before travel, thankfully the holiday went without incident.

I know what you mean though ad an insurance company may decline to pay out if anything happened.

Cheers