I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

can i get myprostate removed

User
Posted 18 Jul 2017 at 21:56

i am worried about pc my dad and uncle died of it another uncle as it and a cousin a son of the uncle got it and they removed it i am worried i will get it now i have just turned 50 is there any was they can remove the prostate before i get it i get tested every year

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 08:37

Hello Wayne and welcome

Short answer to your question is no, they will not remove your prostate just because you think it might become a problem.

Neither has turning 50 got anything  to do with whether you will develop Prostate cancer.

What you can do is get yourself down to your GP, explain your concerns and ask for a PSA test.

Come back and tell us what those results are and we can advise from there. It's true that from reading your post there is a strong family history of PC and you must emphasis that with your GP, telling him all the family history. Also whether your mother had a history of breast or ovarian cancer.

Sorry, just re-read your post and you say you get tested every year so you are already being monitored. What was your latest PSA and how does it relate to the previous ones.

Has it increased at all

Do you have any other symptoms,ie urinary or erectile disfunction?

We can't help with the amount of information given but I'm sure that no removal is going to be offered to you as a preventative. It just doesn't work like that and believe me, if you don't have just cause for major surgery to remove something that may not need it you could well be setting yourself up for a life that is worse than the worry you have now.

Edited by member 19 Jul 2017 at 08:37  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 12:23
Can I suggest that you get your gene profile done, my husband has his checked after losing his sister at 49 years to ovarian cancer and he was diagnosed with PC at 59 years. The results showed that he was not carrying the gene I know it's a bit like closing the stable door after the horse had bolted but he was part of a study regarding cancer and the gene. If you ask your g. p. how you could be tested then either it will put your mind at rest or you are entitled to have annual PSA tests.

Prior to having the test you will be counselled in depth, leaving a week prior to your consent or otherwise.

Hope that helps

User
Posted 31 Jan 2020 at 14:22

I would just carry on doing PSA tests every year, and make a note of the level each time.

The absolute level of an individual PSA test is a bad predictor of prostate cancer.
But if you keep a note of the readings, then the PSA velocity (i.e. the rate it rises) is a 
much better indicator.
If you PSA readings each year give you roughly the same number, then you can be assured
that you are very unlikely to have prostate cancer.