I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hand & foot syndrome following Docetaxel chemo

User
Posted 21 Aug 2017 at 20:00
I have recently completed an 18 week combined Docetaxel (chemo) and Zoladex (hormonal) treatment. I had my last chemo on the 19/6/17, and finished my Prednisolone steroid tablets on the 6/8/17. During cycle 4,5 & 6 of the chemo I started having swelling in the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. Since finishing my chemo, the swelling issue has worsened, and I now live with daily discomfort in my feet (toes, heels and soles), and hands (palms, finger tips). Likewise my nails have discoloured and are covered in ridges. My research suggests that this is hand & foot syndrome (chemo induced acral erythema), and there are no cures for it apart from the passage of time !! Has anyone had any similar experience after Docetaxel, and can they suggest anything to alleviate the discomfort. I am currently using Viitamin E enriched moisturiser cream, and Vit B6 Pyridoxine, as these were recommended in a few articles online, but unverified as successful. Likewise I am taking cool foot baths and elevating my feet several time a day to assist blood flow etc.

Thanks in advance

Ian

User
Posted 22 Aug 2017 at 09:54

Sorry for your trouble Ian.

I can't help other than bumping you.

Best Wishes

Edited by member 22 Aug 2017 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Aug 2017 at 17:31

Ian, I noticed from your biog that you are still experiencing shortness of breath. Have it checked by a chest CAT scan. As I know to my cost, docetaxel can cause blood clots in the lungs. This is not just disabling but dangerous! With regard to your oedema, you can get leg massage on the NHS and a very natty line in support stockings. In my experience, both are useless, but they may work for you! The leg elevation approach plus lots of walking ( yes, I know this seems daft, but it stimulates the lymphatic system and clears the excess fluid) is the best I can suggest.

AC

User
Posted 23 Aug 2017 at 07:21

Hi Ian,

Sorry I cant help you with your questions, but I hope your troubles soon pass.
got one of my own questions for you, did you get early chemo under the stampede trial results
http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(15)01037-5.pdf 
Can I also ask what hospital you are under, as I am asking for this treatment now as I have now got rising PSA
and three Mets
Best Barry

Edited by member 23 Aug 2017 at 07:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 19:25

Barry. My sincere apologies.
Please see the latest update, posted 21:00 Friday 18/12/20 .  I have been away from the PC Uk system for last 2 years ...but back now ! 

ian 

User
Posted 18 Dec 2020 at 20:23

Hi Everyone,

I sincerely apologise for not replying to the many kind comments posted on my thread, but truth be known, I’ve been offline for 2 years, for multiple reasons, and also moving house, but we’re now settled again, having moved closer to our daughter, to make life a little easier all round.

I am still fighting on, and in comparative good health.  Yes, I live with the ongoing shortness of breath (brought on after any exertion /  lengthy conversation etc). I have an inhaler, but try not to using it too often.  My old peripheral neuropathy is still a daily feature, so I guess I have it for the long haul, somewhat aggravated in my left foot following my post-chemo drama on my stairwell when my blue merle collie (Sky) struck my legs in excitement, sending me flying downhill on my back at speed for the full length of the stairs, hitting my bare foot against the bannister and rolling into a crumpled mass on the hall tiles!  My wife later told a neighbour that she didn’t know whether “to call the ambulance or call a vet for the dog”, as Sky had ended up under my crumpled legs !

Anyway… My PSA has remained
under 10  for over 2 years, which has been down to the expertise of my wonderful consultant.  Following my 2017 chemo (Docetaxel) and ADT (Zoladex) treatment package, he continued to monitor my PSA with 3-monthly blood checks.  As /when there was  a slight gain in value, he would authorise my having a 3-month dose of Zoladex ADT abdominal injection, (* painful, wide bore needle, but very effective!)   We agreed to employ this staged usage of Zoladex, as he was keen to prevent the cancer mutating, rendering the ADT less effective against controlling the feeding of the cancer (* feeding in my testosterone) .  His strategy seems to have been highly effective, and despite several new metastases in the body (* I am now formally in the Advanced Prostate Cancer category), the beast is still responding well to the ADT.  Recently I moved across to Decapeptyl (a variant of Zoladex, and is given in the buttock, and hence less painful ! ).

During 2018, 2019 and 2020 I underwent repeated PET-Scans, with the 2018 one showing that the beast had lodged itself in my C7 spinal neck disc.Bad news.  Still a round of SABR radiotherapy within 1.5 cms of my spinal cord sorted that one out, and to date it appears to have remained ‘dormant/not feeding’ on both the 2019 & 2020 PET Scans.  Sadly my 2020 PET-Scan showed that I now have further metastasis on my rib cage, also on 2 other spinal discs (lower and mid spine), and in 5 pelvic lymph nodes (some being rather too close for comfort to my right kidney and my aorta)!.   Alas…. We fight on.

I now accept that I have had a very good run.  Back in 2011, my consultant stated he hoped to ‘buy me 5-7 years before the beast took over”  Well he has done more that he hoped to achieve, and continues to offer brilliant care and guidance.  With the ever changing face of Oncology & the recent advances in cancer gene therapy, I remain hopeful.  Either way, I and m family will always  be eternally grateful to the man that I have come to call my best friend, though he doesn’t know it!   He has been so easy to talk to, always making time to listen and offer sympathetic discussion.    

During our latest tel consultation he also explained why I was starting to 'expand around the waistline' whilst losing body mass around the upper body and my ams.   Apparently it's all part of the long -term use of ADT therapy, affecting men in different ways, but body mass changes are a common side effect.  

If anyone who is going through similar experiences, or if you are supporting a relative with PC, then please feel free to contact me, and I will offer any support I can.  Everyone reacts differently to PC treatment, but knowing potential side effects, and the various options available,  can be helpful. 

Having had cancer for 13 years, I have now learnt to live with it, and although it never leaves my thoughts, I do not let it swamp the bigger picture….  my loving family, my dearest wife of 43 years, and my two wonderful (now adult) healthy children, and of course my 4-legged companion ... ** a present from my wife, my bonus for  dealing with & surviving Chemo!   

Now settled in Gloucestershire, with no intention of moving again! 

Keep strong ...&
Keep safe from C-19. 

Ian

Edited by member 19 Dec 2020 at 15:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Dec 2020 at 15:58

Just for thought....

Before, during, and after the 2017 Chemo 7 ADT combined treatment package.

Yes, it was a shocker at the time, but after the 1st Chemo session I decided to shave my head to minimise the damned itchy pin-pricking sensation in my scalp.  Then came the "moon man" face, and the lobster red face(s) 24 after each infusion, but this all passes over, and YES you do bounce back.  Much of the battle was in my head, although I won't  suggest that there is no physical impact on the body...as that is totally underselling the 6 chemo sessions. So if you can stay "mentally focused", you'll have a better chance of getting through the treatment unscathed. 
I must add, I was VERY lucky , as my body coped well with the 6 sessions, all the way through, as I never fell short of being OK for the next round  (bloods taken 36-72 hrs before each further infusion).   I thank my maker for giving me a fairly fit body over the years, so I was in with a good fighting chance from day 1 .  I know others may underlying health issues, making them more vulnerable to interruptions in the infusion session.   I shall not expand on the post-chemo effects...as I have already listed in my original posting.   Make sure that you work with the wonderful Chemo team that look after you.  Tell them if you feel uncomfortable, don't suffer in silence.  You know if something feels odd, so raise your concerns.  The staff in these units are all very well trained in dealing with any issue you raise, and very, very, supportive.   I was so impressed with my ladies a QEHB Birmingham and have nothing but praise for our wonderful NHS. 

Keep fighting😜 !  

Ian