I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dexamethasone after Prednisolone

User
Posted 02 Oct 2017 at 16:34
I've just had a couple of months on Prednisolone alone following six cycles of chemo when of course it accompanied Docetaxel. During that period I was disappointed to find that my PSA grew (only from 1.1 to 2.4, but nevertheless unwelcome). I am now to have a couple of months or so on Dexamethasone. Has anyone else been through this regime? If so, was the more potent steroid any more effective at PSA control?

The chemo reduced and in at least one case eliminated my soft tissue mets, so quite apart from PSA control the issue of visible change to mets over coming months will be important. Has anyone experience of Dexamethasone helping in this respect?

AC

User
Posted 02 Oct 2017 at 16:34
I've just had a couple of months on Prednisolone alone following six cycles of chemo when of course it accompanied Docetaxel. During that period I was disappointed to find that my PSA grew (only from 1.1 to 2.4, but nevertheless unwelcome). I am now to have a couple of months or so on Dexamethasone. Has anyone else been through this regime? If so, was the more potent steroid any more effective at PSA control?

The chemo reduced and in at least one case eliminated my soft tissue mets, so quite apart from PSA control the issue of visible change to mets over coming months will be important. Has anyone experience of Dexamethasone helping in this respect?

AC

User
Posted 04 Oct 2017 at 16:34

Barry, you haven't upset me! That's very interesting and encouraging. I hope it works for me on the standard dose of 0.5 mg. I'd settle for a year of PSA dropping like Paul's, though my starting level in my very odd case is much lower.

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Oct 2017 at 20:24
Ac-I too had a month on prednisolone after my 6 doxetaxel infusions during which time my PSA dropped to 112 which is the lowest it’s been?? (started at 1547 in March), also now on a 3 month chemo and steroid holiday with only 4 weekly hormone treatments till Dec when I have my next oncology meeting.

Also at my last meeting my oncologist said that she fully expects my PSA to drop further by December even tho I’m only on hormones alone? So who knows what’s happening there?

As for Dexy I’ve only had limited experience of same usually in the days leading up to a chemo infusion.

Anyway hope it all works out for you,

all the best J..

User
Posted 03 Oct 2017 at 18:18

Took this from YORKHALL's postings Decreasing circles Post 11 maybe Paul will chip in.

[I hope I can do this and not upset anyone]

Started taking steroid (1 mg dexamethosone) on 22.3.16 and it has had such a positive effect on my general health. Aches and pains disappeared and my troublesome right leg has settled down completely. Less fatigued and my head is so clear and this has enabled me to complete lots of writing projects.

Now today PSA down to 19.57, an amazing drop. So steroids to continue for another eight weeks when further assessment of the need to move on to enzo will be considered. Best onco visit for over a year!

Onco visit and PSA down from 19 to 10.34. Onco really pleased and thinks the steroid is having an effect. So enzo stays in the box and carry on same treatment. What a result.

Sept 2016

Down again to 6.7 so more of the same.

Well the downwood trend continues for now. A low of 4.3. Settle for that.

Another drop to 3.73 and this amazing year continues. Lots of minor things going on but the cancer remains steady. Colonoscopy results to come and diabetes hba1C rising to 83.

At the fifth anniversary since diagnosis and had diabetes appointment. Change of meds has brought hba1C down from 83 to 74 in 7 weeks. This is great though needs to continue. Feel much better in myself.
Colonoscopy results were fine so just IBS to deal with.

Onco appointment. PSA has stopped dropping but remains steady at 3.90. Problems with mobility discussed and x-rays on my right leg taken. Steroid dose reduced to reduce complications. Hints at a move to enzalutimide over the summer. Good conversation and supportive.

Regards Barry

Edited by member 03 Oct 2017 at 19:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2017 at 16:34

Barry, you haven't upset me! That's very interesting and encouraging. I hope it works for me on the standard dose of 0.5 mg. I'd settle for a year of PSA dropping like Paul's, though my starting level in my very odd case is much lower.

AC