I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Mosquitoes

User
Posted 04 Oct 2017 at 12:36

I am awaiting my third blood test result since my full RT and 36 treatments of Radiotherapy. I live in Spain and have encounter an issue I wonder if anybody else has suffered too.

I have constantly been bitten by mosquitoes throught the summer, Although I used to get the odd bite especially around dawn and dusk since my treatment I am being bitten throughout the day.

Has anybody else suffered from this blight? If so what have the used to stop the blighters from attacking you?

I have tried every possible spray, oils, and eating Garlic but cannot stop them from biting me, they never really used to like me so why now? I did read somewhere that some people who are on chemotherapy were more susceptible to being bitten but not six months after completing treatment.

So if anybody can help i would be really grateful

User
Posted 04 Oct 2017 at 16:47

I fear this is the price you pay for all that sunshine, with lots of burnt flesh exposed...

I can testify that one is susceptible to sepsis from an insect bite whilst undergoing chemo. It was a very scary experience. Reduced to a shivering wreck until antibiotics fought back. I never did see or feel the blighter that did it. I doubt if it found be more attractive than anyone else. I was just unlucky. I don't think the treatments you've had, as I also had 10 years ago, make one more susceptible to being bitten. I think I had 10 years almost free of bites and that was whilst canal boating, where the risk of bites is much higher than away from the water.

AC

User
Posted 04 Oct 2017 at 23:35

I don't know whether having PCa/treatment has a bearing on this but there are different kinds of mosquitoes in different areas.

My main experience of them was as a young NS soldier in Malaya (now Malaysia) back in 1956. They tended to bite when it started to get dark, similar in this respect to gnats in England. In fact we were under orders to change from shorts and rolled up sleeves into long trousers and rolled down sleeves at an appropriate time because of this. The little blighters seem to be attracted to some people more than others. They loved me and regardless of the dress cover up and mosquito nets on beds, I was frequently bitten and it was very difficult to avoid scratching. Fortunately, a daily 'Paludrin' prophylactic tablet warded off Malaria.

Fast forward to 1968 , After less than three weeks in Freetown, despite taking a daily 'Paludrin tablet, I got Malaria - different type of Mosquito and strain of the disease requiring different prophylactic . I understand that difference strains are in other regions of the world where other prophylactics are recommended. As far as I am aware, the mosquitoes in Spain do not carry Malaria, so at least for the present you are spared this possibility but with global warming who knows who may be susceptible in the future!!

Barry
User
Posted 05 Oct 2017 at 08:03

Thanks for your responses.

Yes over here in Spain no Malaria carrying mosquitoes at present although we are getting an influx of what are called Tiger Mosquitoes from Africa but until this year they have never bitten me like they are this year hence thinking it might be the Radiotherapy that has warmed up my blood for the blighters to find me.

Its only the females that bite so I suppose I should be flattered that at last in my life I am now attractive to females.

And these mosquitoes have had silencers fitted You used to be able to hear them buzzing near you but now they seemed to have become silent.

Oh well not going out between 6 and 9 pm from now on

Thanks again 

User
Posted 05 Oct 2017 at 08:19
Having lived in Australia for many years, I found that eating vegemite helps ward off mossier if you can't get hold of it then maybe marmite will help , failing that, vitamin B tablets seem to do the trick, worth a try
User
Posted 06 Oct 2017 at 09:01

Thanks for the advice Marmite yuuk I'll have to pass on that one cant stand the stuff  but will look up Vitamin B thanks