I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Coming off hormones (Prostap)

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 19:16

I've been on Prostap for 3 years after diagnosis. That's come to an end now 2 years after radiotherapy.

The side effects for me were fairly typical - mood swings, excessive sweating/hot flashes, complete lack of sex drive.

My PSA last week was undetectable and my testosterone level was very low at 0.2 (norm is 10-30)

Anyone had experience of how long it takes for side effects to go and testosterone levels to go back up?

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 20:38
I have only been on Prostap for 7 months and so can't help with your query but wondered if you could answer a question for me.

Did you experience any lower back and hip pain when you started the Prostap?

It may not be related but this pain has only started in the last few months.

The good news is that a RALP and salvage RT didn't get me down to undetectable but 3 months of HT has done the trick.

Sorry to highjack your post but with your experience of Prostap you seemed a good guy to ask.

All the best

Kevan

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 20:53

General rule is that the side effects take as long to disappear as they took to develop, so if you experienced side effects almost immediately when you started taking Prostap, they should dissipate quickly. If it took a long time for them to appear then they may linger for quite a while. Sometimes the side effects can be permanent; John only had 9 months of HT 5 years ago but the hot flushes have never left him.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 20:57

Kevan, lower back pain and hip pain may be down to the muscle & ligament changes - your body is feminising so the pelvic muscles lose tone and the pelvis can spread slightly (as it does in a pregnant woman) - slackening muscles can mean the back is not so well supported too. Joint pain is a recognised SE of hormone treatment

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Oct 2017 at 21:44
Thanks Lyn - much appreciated.

Once again sorry Carpetseller for using your post. Hope all works out well coming off the HT.

Kind regards

Kevan