I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My Fast Journey So Far

User
Posted 19 Oct 2017 at 22:43

Hi my name is Paul and i am new here. I recently had a PSA test 2 weeks ago and on the friday i had a call from local hospital to arrange an appointment at the rapid access clinic for the next tuesday . i had this appointment and found out my PSA was 6.4 when should have been 3.2  so he did the digital exam and said seemed normal. I was then given a letter to make an appointment for a MRI which was booked there and then for the saturday just gone. I had this done and took about 45 minutes for the full scans to be done. I then was told to wait for the results . i had a letter today which had an appointment for a prostate Biopsy made for next tuesday so all this so far has taken 2 weeks so its been a very fast paced journey. I am naturally very nervous as didnt expect the biopsy as was hoping the prostate would look normal . I am assuming and hope wrongly that the MRI has shown some areas from where a biopsy is needed to check the areas out. i will ofcourse post updates to this thread as and when i get the results from the biopsy so the next 3 weeks are not going to be the best of times till i know which way the results are to be but hope if is worst then atleast it should be easily treatable as hopefully early . 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2017 at 09:11

Hello Paul and welcome to the site.

You are right, the next few weeks will be an anxious time for you, it is for all of us who have to do the waiting around for results bit.
You probably won't believe me when I say that the waiting is the worst bit but it is.

Once the ball gets rolling and you have some input into what happens to you life gets a little easier.

You really have been very lucky with the speed things have happened compared to some on here sp much as you don't want to be where you are, it's best that a diagnosis is done as soon as possible.

IF and i do say iF, you have cancer then early diagnosis means many options are open to you.

Fingers crossed for you and yes please, come back and put us in the picture.

We're here to help when and where we can.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Oct 2017 at 16:30

You may turn out to have PCa but don't automatically assume that the scan showed up problem areas just because you have been invited for a biopsy. In many areas, the biopsy is automatic or routine as scans don't always show tumours. The biopsy isn't reliable on its own and neither is a scan - best practice is to have both.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Oct 2017 at 18:13
Paul - your post brings back memories of this time last year for me. I was overwhelmed by the speed of all the appointments. If you had a Multi-parametric MRI scan, it gives a PIRAD score. Mine was 5, meaning cancer was likely to be found on biopsy - and it was. I also quizzed the consultant doing the biopsy about his best professional opinion. He told me he fully expected to find PCa. My hospital was definitely more forth coming with information than what seems to be the general experience on here. Or, maybe because I spent days on this forum, I went to every appointment with a list of very specific questions, I got more specific answers.

Anyway, you're in the right place. You have to have the tests to see if you are dealing with PCa. And, if you are, the people on this forum will be a great support.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 20 Oct 2017 at 21:19

I know exactly how you feel - been there; it's sickeningly worrying but I can tell you that you will feel better because for you even the worse case scenario won't be that bad.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2017 at 21:48

hi well tomorrow i go for the results from the Clinical Nurse Practioner - Urology  which  i know the nurse deals with Prostate Cancer and also when had biopsies the consultant showed me the MRI scan where it showed the area of concern as a crescent moon area on left hand side of prostate . so tomorrow i find out what this means for me and what treatment if any is required . i will post the details of the biopsys here after i get back home . i will admit i am nervous and anxious but i am prepared so wont get any surprises . i am hoping its nothing to worry about at this time . 

User
Posted 07 Nov 2017 at 05:41
Hope all goes well today, sending you my best wishes, Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 07 Nov 2017 at 08:44

Good luck for today. I hope you get the best possible results

Viv
X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 09 Nov 2017 at 21:50

Hi Everyone Well had the Results Tuesday and was told i did have Prostate Cancer but it is early stage as its a T2 and G3 so means its confined to prostate and is the non agressive type . It is confined to the left lobe which has 90% Cancer but the right lobe is 100% clear so in reality it is good news with a great outlook. I have chosen the wait and see option which means a PSA bloodtest every 3 months plus regular MRI's but not sure when will have MRI's but its all good . the nurse was surprised at how calm i was but i was expecting it but it really didnt hit me till yesterday . I am one of the luckier men who get PC with a great outlook where no treatment till it gets worse. i have named it Magneto to make it real . :)

User
Posted 09 Nov 2017 at 22:03
Great news .. very pleased for you

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 09 Nov 2017 at 22:11
Hi Paul. Just wondering whereabouts you live. It took us 4 very long months from the start of the GP 2 week referral to find out. The organisation at our local hospital seems to be in chaos. We are much happier now that his treatment has been referred to a Teaching hospital. Just hope he can continue to be seen there after the operation for all his follow up.

Regards

Ann

User
Posted 09 Nov 2017 at 22:44

They wouldn't be letting you go on active surveillance if 90% of the left lobe was cancerous so presumably it was 90% of the biopsy samples? That would make sense as they probably targeted the crescent shaped area for most samples. Or it could be that 90% of each positive core was cancer?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Nov 2017 at 21:55

hi i live in Coseley in the west midlaaands and i have to say the NHS has been great and fast :)

User
Posted 27 Nov 2017 at 22:01

Hi sorry for the confusion .... the crescent was 90% positive  and the rest of left lobe was 3/5 samples were positive and right was clear . hope that clears it up :)