I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Variable symptoms

User
Posted 22 Oct 2017 at 14:25
Hi. I'd like to ask the community about my symptoms to see whether what I am experiencing is common or unusual to me. I was operated on for localised PC in Nov 2015. I believe the disease has advanced although this has yet to be diagnosed (or treated). I am due to have a PAMA PET scan on Wednesday. My symptoms mainly involve pain and fatigue. The pain varies in intensity and location and doesn't seem to stay in the same place for 2 consecutive days. At the moment it is on the left hand side just above the pelvis but other areas include the pelvis (both sides and front) ,hips ,lower and upper spine, ribs , lungs, rectum, cranium. Although the pain moves around and is always in one place or another, it doesn't seem to ever be all places at once. Is this common or unusual ?
User
Posted 22 Oct 2017 at 18:04

It isn't typical of prostate cancer spread at all - more likely to be either a continuation of or aftermath from the osteomyelitis or psychosomatic e.g. the worry and anxiety about your PSA rises are causing non-descript pains. Bone mets tend to cause persistent agonising pain in one or two sites as the nerve endings are pinched.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Oct 2017 at 23:11
Ok thanks for the reply. It is plausible that the pains I'm getting are either psychosomatic or osteomyelitis related but the experts thought I was clear of osteomyelitis in March and the random pains have been occurring in increasing frequency and intensity as well as new symptoms like numbness in hands. Weirdly x-Ray's have shown bone deterioration in my RH hip and lower back which the medics have attributed to "wear and tear" for a man of my age (I'm 58). I guess the scan could show other bone deterioration although its specifically looking for prostate protein I think.. I'll have a clearer idea after Wednesday but I will be quite surprised (and pleased !) if I don't have an extensive spread. I will also be extremely puzzled by the cause. I don't think people get "wear and tear" of the hips for example.
User
Posted 24 Oct 2017 at 19:06

I think wear and tear is the reason for most hip replacements!

Fingers crossed for you that the results are good on Wednesday.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard