I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Search function on the Community/Forum doesn't work

User
Posted 22 Oct 2017 at 17:24

An example of why I believe the search function isn't fit for purpose.

1. I type' clot' into the Search box.

2. I know that there are two posts in the thread:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t13243-Radium-223---the-highs-and-the-lows#post169820

dated 22/10/17 that have the word clot in them.

3. The search results say that the newest post with the word clot in it is dated 30/1/17.

Another example.

1. I click on show search options.

2. I type ColU_FC in Posted by, change the search option to Match Exact Phrase and set Topics to Advanced or metastatic cancer.

3. The search results say I last posted on 11/3/17. I've posted many times since then.

Can this error be corrected?

Edited by member 23 Oct 2017 at 09:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Oct 2017 at 17:47

Colin

I can't say I have ever figured out how the search feature works, if you search for the word "and" it does not bring up recent posts it only brings up posts starting from "before" April this year.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Oct 2017 at 17:55

Sorry PCUK whom I love , but the search function is barely functional at all. You can’t even find a member half the time using the search.

User
Posted 23 Oct 2017 at 19:14

This all suggests that there is a process that is run periodically that goes through every post and indexes every unique word in order to build an index. If I'm right, this process hasn't been run since last March. I suspect such a process can only be run when the forum is offline.

It would be good if PCUK could tell us whether the above is correct or if not what they think the cause is. If we know why the indexing doesn't work then we may be able to figure out a workaround. Alternatively, tell me who supplies this forum software and I'll investigate the problem myself.

David (ex IT Project Manager for 30+ years)

User
Posted 24 Oct 2017 at 12:02

Hi, all, and thanks for alerting.

Sterling work, David. We've had problems with a process that refreshes the search index not firing before. Solving the problem - assuming that is the problem - is a little trickier than it looks. I've passed your comments on to our developers, and am hoping to have a fix soon.

Cheers,

James

User
Posted 24 Oct 2017 at 19:03

It is easier to be logged in and then in a separate tab, run a Google search. That is how I find my own thread 'my 3 men' when I need it :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Oct 2017 at 20:44

I have raised this on the forum several times and spoke face to face with a representative of PCUK on the subject during the summer meet this year of members of B2PCa at Mill on the Soar. I said how difficult it was to find threads because the search facility produced so much irrelevant information. I asked whether a more focused search, (in need a separate one), could be provided that would enable members here to find members only threads. I was told that this would be considered. Meanwhile, like Lyn,I have to search Google for these threads or Bookmark them. Improvement by PCUK to this most unsatisfactory facility is long overdue.

Barry