Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Repeat Urethrotomy

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 16:04

Hi All,

Not posted for a while. I'm now nearly 7 years since diagnosis and doing well on HT. (PSA 0.6 and zero side effects).

I'm having a repeat urethrotomy next month following a new stricture found during an unsuccessful flexible cystoscopy examination. 

My first Urethrotomy was back in May 2015.

Has anyone else had to have the procedure repeated and if so how well did it work second time around.

Take care everyone.

Regards

Dave C

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 18:29
Hi Dave,

I’ve had two urethrotomies. The repeat one lasted for about 10 months before the stricture started to form again. I now self catheterise twice a week to keep the urethra open and have been advised I will need to do this for the rest of my days. The alternative is urethroplasty, which i’ve Been offered and may have at some point.

flexi

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 20:31
Dave

My surgeon or his colleagues have been in my urethra 10 times since April 2014. 8 visits were to dilatate/ stretch the scar tissue/stricture. He has only cut into the scar tissue on a couple of occasions. Two visits were to correct damage to a punctured urethra caused during an aborted dilatation. Despite having RT my urethra seems to have stabilized in the last few months. Up until a month ago I have been doing ISD since the second dilatation. I was warned cutting into the scar tissue may cause incontinence and that repeat procedures might be required. How slow is your flow? I did progressive dilatation for a while with a fair amount of success until the RT started. I would insert a 12 or 14,followed by a 16 then 18, it did keep me out of theatre.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Nov 2017 at 08:05
Hi all,

Second urethotomy completed as a day case. Outstanding NHS service as usual. Catheter for 2 to 3 weeks. Once again having occasional spasms and medication, Mariosea XL, doesn’t appear to be helping.

Uro has said I will need to start ISD. Seems like it’s not too difficult. Any experience comments welcome.

Take care everyone.

Dave Co

User
Posted 18 Nov 2017 at 15:33
Dave

Firstly ISD for me was quite straightforward, and the thought of it was far worse than the procedure. Just remember to relax and stay calm and remember hygiene is a top priority.

There are several types and brands of Catheter. I was started on lowfric, which was our hospitals preferred supplier. I then moved on to IQ Catheters which have a rounded tip, I then used whycath soft tip which as the name suggests has a soft flexible tip. There are numerous other types with curves and bends. I was fortunate to get a few samples from the hospital to try.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Nov 2017 at 16:19

Hi Dave,

Like you I have a stricture, that closes up a week after a session of Chemo,

{  I am  having early Chemo for recurrent PC with three Mets ,}

Glad to see you are still on HT with no spread. 

I use SpeediCath® Compact Male  which are easy to carry about ,  I always use some pain killing gel as well .

Hope you are well Dave

User
Posted 18 Nov 2017 at 18:21

Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful.

I’ll post again after my next appointment

I think the bladder sensitivity medication may be starting to work. Took my 3rd tablet this morning.

Cheers

Dave C

User
Posted 11 Dec 2017 at 22:26

Recovering well from the urethotomy. No problems with urgency / frequency after about 3 days, maybe it’s the medication (only one way to find out). ISD seems very easy. Using the new speedicath flex.
Very happy with progress so far. Follow up and flow test in March. Flow is amazing at the moment. Hopefully ISD will keep it so.

Thanks for all your comments and support. Makes a huge difference.

Take care everyone

Dave C

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 07:55
Dave

Great news, I will follow your progress with interest. You can of course monitor your flow rate with a measuring jug and a watch, not as detailed as the hospital's bit of kit but still reasonably accurate.

All the best for the future.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 07:55
Dave

Great news, I will follow your progress with interest. You can of course monitor your flow rate with a measuring jug and a watch, not as detailed as the hospital's bit of kit but still reasonably accurate.

All the best for the future.

Thanks Chris