Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Enzalutimide or abiaterone???

User
Posted 31 Oct 2017 at 23:16
Hello everyone

My dad has recently been informed that he PC is now castrate resistant. Current treatment so far has been prostap injection every 3 months and he also received 6 cycles of docetaxel which was completed at the start of this year.

We have just had an oncology appointment which ended with the oncologist giving my dad the choice of either enzalutamide or abiaterone with prednisone.

He has a few days to digest the info and make a choice. I was hoping maybe some of you may be able to share any experiences or have any helpful info regarding the two treatments you would be happy to give. From info I can find it appears that the efficacy is similar for both however abiaterone appears to be a harsher drug?

Any advice/info you can give will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :-)

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 06:54
Hi, sorry your Dad is where he is.

I started abiraterone in Jan 2015 as like your father my pca had become resistant. My onco chose abi over enzo because I run and abi comes with steroids that are needed to combat some of the effects of abi but will also help my muscles slightly.

I never researched the difference and took his word for it.

My PSA is 0.11 which is the lowest ever (started at 342) and has been between 0.11 and 0.15 for the last six months.

I have run som ecrazy long distance races across the Sahara, Spain and Iceland this year plus many others so it has not stopped me doing anything.

I too had docetaxl first.

I do get muscle and joint pain after/during long races but have no idea if that's the abi or zoladex or steroids or just over use! Any injuries have settled down with rest. I also struggle to sleep much, maybe just having cancer or the steroids?

So in summary, I can't tell you if enzo is better or worse but can say that abi has kept me alive and able to do what I need to in order to stay sane for 18 months, I know that it won't last forever but I am enjoying the ride (run ha ha) whilst I can.

Give your dad my best and thank you for caring about him.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 08:22
Hi

It really depends on how he copes with either, my husband did not cope well with enzalutamide but the good thing is that he was very closely monitored and he stopped after a month but and it's a very but, it did the trick, hisPSA fell a lot. He still has the abiraterone as an alternative backup.

There are so many things in the oncologist toolkit your dad has plenty of options

Good luck

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 09:04
Hi Kev and Blueytrew

Thank you for your replies.

Like yourself kev my dad is quite an active person and our concern with the Enzo is the increased fatigue and loss of desire to do things. The fact that you have managed those runs is not only commendable but highly reassuring. It's great to know that the as abi is doing its job and long may it continue!

Blueytrew the oncologist did say that if my dad does not tolerate the side effects of first choice we can change (as long as it's in first 3 month and psa is going down). It's fantastic to know the Enzo had the desired effect on your husband with regards to psa unfortunate the side effects were untolerable. I hope he tolerates the abi far better and it continues to have the desired effect.

Thanks again for getting back to me really appreciate.

Kev all the best with the continued abi treatment and enjoy the running!

Blueytrew good luck to you and your hubby when moves onto abi fantastic his psa is down!

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 17:16

MG11, I had nearly three years on abiraterone until it started failing. I had no side effects at all. The accompanying prednisolone can tend to put weight on if one is not careful, though. I can't compare with Enzalutamide from personal experience,but I have read of more cases of side effects with this than Abi. How wonderful to have been given the choice!

AC

User
Posted 01 Nov 2017 at 22:03

Hi MG11
When I was diagnosed in January 2015 with a psa of 235 I went onto the Stampede Trial of abitaterone (plus steroid) and enzalutamide plus Prostap.
I stopped the abiraterone after about 2 months following very bad stomach pains. I too run and these side effects were preventing me running.
I'm still taking enzalutamide (34 months on) and my psa has been around .06 for most of that time.
I am still fit and well although I had to pause the running due to angina issues (an inherited problem) for 9 months and am now starting again to get my fitness back (following 2 stents).

But this is me and everyone is different with medications but I hope it helps you with your decision.

All the best
Paul

Ps I have the usual side effects of enzalutamide of hot flushes, tiredness but nothing yet to stop me still keeping active

Edited by member 01 Nov 2017 at 22:06  | Reason: Not specified