I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

How long

User
Posted 06 Nov 2017 at 20:15
Hi my husband has been diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer, T3 N1 M1 ,just about 1 year ago . He had 6 sessions of chemo and is having 3 monthly injections , at the last oncologist appointment we were told that everything is ok for now but it won’t last !! To add to the misery he has just been made redundant , it never rains !
User
Posted 06 Nov 2017 at 22:51

Hi Julie
I was diagnosed just short of 3 years ago.
My psa was 235. It's now been around .06 for the last 33 months
I've just been on Quarterly HT and enzalutamide.
I'm still leading a pretty normal life (different than it was but still good)
I know it won't last but every day lasts a day and every month a month and I enjoy each of them.

I can't tell you how you husbands life will go but only to try to enjoy every day as much as you can.
Early on I had oncologists, gp's and others pat me and say they are so sorry which made me feel like I was going to die in months.But I changed my diet significantly (helped greatly by my wife) kept exercising and got on with life.

I'm really sorry to hear of your husbands redundancy and I hope he moves on into another job soon. I know redundancy is very soul destroying - I've been there.

Keep posting, this sight is so good in support and guidance.
All the best
Paul

Edited by member 07 Nov 2017 at 10:54  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Nov 2017 at 23:44

Was it a whole company or department that got made redundant or just him? If it was just him, did you get legal advice about whether he could claim discrimination under the Equality Act?

I think it is right that oncos are clear with patients if they are diagnosed with incurable cancer - better than being given false hope - and it is true that the hormone injections won't last forever. Eventually the cancer learns to live without testosterone at which point the treatment needs to be changed to other newer treatments. Some rare prostate cancers are very aggressive and nothing works for very long while others seem to tick along for years and years. We have had members with diagnoses like your partner's and they have still been here 10, 12, 14 years later. Assuming your partner is responding well at the moment and his PSA has gone down and stayed low, I assume he hasn't been diagnosed with one of the rare types? Do you have the diagnosis letter - does it say 'adenocarcinoma'?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Mar 2018 at 08:42

Hi Julie, Im in a similar position, my husband had no symptoms but diagnosed in January, now has a prognosis of 3-5 yrs !!! his treatment sounds the same. We are off to basingstoke today for nuclear tests to confirm lung involvement and rule out bones.... our retirement wasnt meant to go like this :(
Im only 62 and I dont want to be a widow yet. sending best wishes to you both xx