Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Don't know where I am

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 15:15

Six weeks ago I was healthy.

Then following a blood test at the GPs on a totally unrelated issue found a PSA 6.4.

Referral to hospital, MRI and biopsy diagnosed prostate cancer (T3 Gleason 4:3)

Meeting with consultant recommended robotic surgery planned for the 13th December. Arranged for bone scan but wasn't expecting to find anything.

Bone Scan last Wednesday. 

Telephone call on Tuesday this week there are shadows on my ribs and more test are needed.

Before Tuesday I thought I had a grip on things and now I don't know where I am.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 16:24

Alan, you are still the same man but you have a chronic condition which can be treated in a variety of ways to give you a long and satisfying life. Men on here with far worse numbers than you have survived more than ten years. With new treatments almost every year coming on stream, you should live out your normal life span. No point in me saying don't worry, because I know you will. That's normal, but this phase will pass and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Focus on the positive and build your determination to master this thing - don't let it rule your life.

AC

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 16:26

Hello Alan and welcome to the site that nobody really wants to be a member of!

That first diagnosis is always a shock and takes a bit of getting used to.

I can't offer advice as your situation is different from ours but I am sure somebody will be along to give you encouragement.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Dec 2017 at 08:16
Hi Alan

Glad that the scan went OK and that it was on time as well.

That's one more step into the future which is how this PCa thing works. You'll get the results which adds to your knowledge, you have a think about it and a chat with your team and them move forwards again.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 09 Dec 2017 at 09:38

Good luck for Monday Alan.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 10:49

I am surprised at your doctor's comments - spread to ribs is quite common as you will see by looking at some of the other member profiles on here. And PSA can't be relied upon to indicate how advanced a prostate cancer is; Si_Ness had a PSA of around 3 but bone mets all over his body. Was he actually the consultant or a junior doctor?

Good luck tomorrow.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 12:06
Hello Alan,

I had similar experience with shadows on my thigh, I had a PET scan and multiply other scans on my left thigh , nothing came of it, still went ahead with Robotic surgery & if you read my profile you will see my experience with PCa, in the meantime best of luck.

Kind Regards

James

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 16:24

Alan, you are still the same man but you have a chronic condition which can be treated in a variety of ways to give you a long and satisfying life. Men on here with far worse numbers than you have survived more than ten years. With new treatments almost every year coming on stream, you should live out your normal life span. No point in me saying don't worry, because I know you will. That's normal, but this phase will pass and you will see the light at the end of the tunnel. Focus on the positive and build your determination to master this thing - don't let it rule your life.

AC

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 16:26

Hello Alan and welcome to the site that nobody really wants to be a member of!

That first diagnosis is always a shock and takes a bit of getting used to.

I can't offer advice as your situation is different from ours but I am sure somebody will be along to give you encouragement.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 30 Nov 2017 at 16:25

Still don't know where I am. PET scan for tomorrow has been cancelled.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2017 at 07:45

Had the PET Scan yesterday. Every thing happened on time and in an efficient manner. Results should be with the consultant Monday.

User
Posted 09 Dec 2017 at 08:16
Hi Alan

Glad that the scan went OK and that it was on time as well.

That's one more step into the future which is how this PCa thing works. You'll get the results which adds to your knowledge, you have a think about it and a chat with your team and them move forwards again.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 09 Dec 2017 at 09:38

Good luck for Monday Alan.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 10:34

Spoken to the Consultant, who is baffled by the signs on my lower posterior ribs. Says it is very rare for prostate cancer to have spread to the ribs and my PSA should be over 20, mine is at 7.

Going ahead with the robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy surgery tomorrow.

We'll see where we are after that.

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 10:49

I am surprised at your doctor's comments - spread to ribs is quite common as you will see by looking at some of the other member profiles on here. And PSA can't be relied upon to indicate how advanced a prostate cancer is; Si_Ness had a PSA of around 3 but bone mets all over his body. Was he actually the consultant or a junior doctor?

Good luck tomorrow.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Dec 2017 at 12:06
Hello Alan,

I had similar experience with shadows on my thigh, I had a PET scan and multiply other scans on my left thigh , nothing came of it, still went ahead with Robotic surgery & if you read my profile you will see my experience with PCa, in the meantime best of luck.

Kind Regards

James

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 10:26

Seeing the Consultant tomorrow (seven weeks post op). This is the worst time as I flip from optimism to pessimism.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 18:36
Good luck for tomorrow Alan.

Ann

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 18:53

Good luck and here's hoping for great news

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 16:46

It is good news. The pathology report shows I has a significant and aggressive tumour. There's no evidence of the cancer spreading and my PSA is now >0.03.

Now all I need to worry about is working on the incontinence and ED.

Coming on to this site has been of great use and comfort. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post messages of support and share their own stories.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 17:01

Alan, fantastic result but I think you meant <0.03

AC

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 17:54
Brilliant news - such a relief for you and as you say you can now concentrate on your other issues but give yourself time.

Kevan