I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

tomatoes painful reflux

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 19:19

hi,i have read a lot about tomatoes for pc but i cant eat them due to my hiatius hernia and acid reflux,anyone know what can i do,will a lycopene supplement give me problems like tomatoes do,any help please.

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 20:04

Does tomato soup and tomato-based sauce give you reflux as well?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Nov 2017 at 23:53

I tended to suffer from acid reflux bringing up a small amount at night whilst in bed (horrible taste!). I overcame this by not eating/drinking so late and avoiding things that might react with each, particularly in the evening. I also added a second pillow. My GP prescribed Omeprazole and Lansoprazole but I found these upset my stomach so I soon stopped. There are other things than tomatoes that are thought to be beneficial with PCa - perhaps a look at the appropriate section on this forum might give you some ideas.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Nov 2017 at 09:07

thanks,i have been on ppi,s for years and they arent good long term,i have been ok for a while eating tomato based things but recently i have been getting problems it must build up inside you before getting problems,do you think a lycopine supplement would be ok instead of tomatoes,doctors dish out ppi,s like sweets nowadays,but long term use is not good,and they stop you from absorbing nutrients.thanks.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2017 at 12:32

I too have been on PPIs for years (18 to be precise) and have not experienced any side effects as yet.

Surprisingly I wasn't aware that tomatoes cooked or uncooked could cause issues for those with reflux and have never been affected by them, nor for that matter fruits with high citrus contents however tea and coffee that is not decaffeinated plays merry hell with my stomach and oesophagus.

Perhaps with have different tolerances for various fruits and yours is tomatoes.

I don't know what you daily dosage of PPIs is but for the record mine is 2 x 15mg of Zoton FasTab which is the most effective for me rather than the generic omeprazole and lansoprazole that GPs prefer to prescribe due to cost.

I had to jump through hoops to get back onto the FasTab when my GP placed me on the generic alternatives but after "yellow carding" the these meds with the MHRA, he was obliged to return to the status quo and I was back on the FasTab within a couple of weeks.

Perhaps some of the issues you have are with the generic meds you are being prescribed, if indeed you are and perhaps a chat with your GP may be beneficial in resolving some of your issues re tomatoes.

Good luck

Roger
User
Posted 17 Nov 2017 at 13:12

rogcal,thanks i am on 20mgs of raberprazole which i take in the morning it must be certain foods that trigger it,i am at my gps next week to ask him if  ppis stop food been absorbed properly,he will probably up my dose even though i dont like them but what can you do,its bad enough trying to eat right for pc,the foods that are good for pc arent good for hiatius hernia, thanks.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2017 at 21:04

Hi Radar,

Just been looking at diet for PCa and saw that cooked tomatoes have a much higher level of lycopene, with tomato paste having the highest. Just wonder if you could include some paste with meals without reflux.

User
Posted 17 Nov 2017 at 21:30
Radar, I have suffered with reflux and after lots of research discovered that taking Gaviscon Advance after every meal and last thing at night helped. It creates a barrier that prevents the acid from escaping and causing discomfort. Where I live Gaviscon Advance is not available off the shelf and has to be bought at a pharmacy. Hope this helps.
User
Posted 17 Nov 2017 at 21:52
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Radar,

Just been looking at diet for PCa and saw that cooked tomatoes have a much higher level of lycopene, with tomato paste having the highest. Just wonder if you could include some paste with meals without reflux.

Yes, the research is about the benefits of consuming processed or cooked tomatoes, not raw ones

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard