First time here, as I'm concerned (and confused) by my PSA levels.
I am now 60 and have been monitored for 3 years by my GP and urologist, following an initial concern over groin pain (which may actually have been the result of a high intensity cycle exercise). This led to an initial PSA test of low 4's which was considered high but DRE examinations showed no physical abnormalities and due there being no other symptoms the recommendation was to continue with 6 monthly PSA checks. These remained around this level for about 18 months (sometimes up a little, sometimes down) but since then there has been a steady rise in my readings.
Since the levels starting increasing, my Urologist recommended 3 monthly tests. Along with this I have had numerous DRE examinations, an MRI scan, Ultrasound scan and finally a CPA3 test (privately). All of these have not shown any abnormalities and the CPA3 test was negative (3 on a threshold of 25). I went down the CPA3 route, rather than the biopsy route as my research led me to believe that it was a more reliable test than the biopsy (plus it was non invasive).
The ultra sound scan showed my prostate was enlarged (60cc) but other than that I do not have any other physical symptoms, I do not need to pee at night, my flow rate is generally good (it can be a little variable sometimes but not often) and I empty my bladder when required. No other symptoms, such as back/groin pain, fatigue or constipation are present. My health is generally good, I exercise as much as possible and I'm not over weight, my diet is as healthy as possible and I drink in moderation too.
And yet, for the last 18 months my PSA readings have been on the rise with the latest reading at 11.9.
Obviously this has come as a blow, as following the negative CPA3 reading the private consultant told me to expect my PSA levels to drop.
A biopsy now seems to be the only option but should I wait until my next appointment with the Urologist in April or push for something sooner?