Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

bone mets with low psa?

User
Posted 20 Nov 2017 at 14:33
Hi All

Can anyone advise as to whether or not it's possible to have bone mets with low or undetectable psa?

I had a RRP last January and so far follow up PSA has been undetectable. Gleeson 3+4, Nx Extracapsular extension, PC3a.Next test is next week. Now I have pain in my spine which feels like a bruise type pain when pressed. The problem is this desease is getting into my mind and I cant help wandering if its possible to be bone mets. If I know it is possible I can argue the case for a bone scan at my Uro appointment. If anyone comes back with a yes any actual examples would be usefull please

Cheers

Will

User
Posted 20 Nov 2017 at 17:25

Bone mets don't usually feel like a bruise when pressed - it is usually an ongoing debilitating pain as the bone collapses to tumour. On the other hand, many men have no pain at all from bone mets which is why they are diagnosed so late. Having been diagnosed with cancer it is easy to assume every pain or tweak is somehow linked but it is very unlikely.

There are types of prostate cancer that produce no PSA and / or which are particularly keen to go to bone but I assume that you don't have any of these rarer types as it would have been diagnosed at biopsy or in the lab when your prostate was examined post-op.

You could ask for a private scan if you can afford it? Or wait to see what the next PSA result is first?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Nov 2017 at 05:45

Thanks Lyn
My tumor was adenocarcinoma so it seems I am just over worrying this. My mind is more at ease now.

Thanks again
Will

User
Posted 21 Nov 2017 at 19:35

I hope this can be a bit reassuring as well. I do have bone mets. One of the areas is my right hip. I have pain in my right hip although I now know it isn’t the cancer causing it. It caused me a fair bit of worry at first as it started between hospital appointments. Due to hormone therapy and chemotherapy my PSA is also undetectable so I thought things had taken a turn for the worse. So as Lyn says any twinge pushes the worry levels up.

User
Posted 21 Nov 2017 at 20:48

Thanks Davywls yes more reassuring. Sorry your in the situation myself and many others are hoping to avoid.

Good. Luck
Will

User
Posted 21 Nov 2017 at 21:48

Thanks Will. I had my regular 12 week appointment with my consultant today, a great guy. Given the circumstances things really couldn’t be any better.
Cheers
Dave