Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA significant rise in n Zoladex worried

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 17:25
Hi, thank you for reading.

My dad was diagnosed with stage 4 PC in December 2016. Been on Zoladex since Jan 2017. PSA dropped from 198 to 11 then to 14 in July and last Friday we found out it has gone to 298. Dads psa has been retested and they’re checking his testosterone level. I’m thinkzing the worst that the Zoladex has only worked for six months and he’s not castrate resistant.

We are waiting to find out what happens next. Dad is 70 and is still relatively active. He says a lot of the bad pain he experienced prior to diagnosis hasn’t returned. He has mets on spine, leg, pelvis and rib.

What is likely to happen next? They’re discussing him at MDT meeting this week. We haven’t seen oncologist up to now, just a urologist.

Has anyone else experienced such a rapid rise in psa.

Very worried and heartbroken right now x
User
Posted 06 Dec 2017 at 06:24

Hello Flora,

I can't offer advice but I see you have posted twice on the same subject as you didn't get a reply (or perhaps your original post was delayed appearing)

Anyway I hope that bumping you will shove you up the list.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 07 Dec 2017 at 17:23

Sounds like Hormone resistance, hopefully someone else can explain it for you.

Chris.

Ps, how far apart were the PSA tests when it went to over 200?

Edited by member 07 Dec 2017 at 17:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Dec 2017 at 17:42

If the GP practise as been administering Zoladex it would be worth checking the right dose was given (4 weekly @ 3.6, 12 weekly @ 10.8) - they can get it wrong.

Ray

User
Posted 08 Dec 2017 at 19:27

Flora, a surprising rise, for sure. I am also surprised that his tests were six months apart - far too long. He should be under an Oncologist's care. Lots of treatment options available so don't despair. Bear in mind that all treatments work for a period and not for ever.

AC

User
Posted 23 Dec 2017 at 09:39

Hi Flora12 I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you as you go through this difficult time with your Dad. I’m the same age as you and my Dad is 72. Unfortunately I don’t have the experience to offer any advice regarding treatment but I can be here emotionally if you ever wanted to PM me for support. My Dad was diagnosed in February 17 T3bN0M0 PSA 19 which came down after radiotherapy but is going up again. Possibly hormone resistant but we just don’t know. I’m feeling pretty fragile right now and taking each day as it comes as I’m sure you are. I just wanted to say you are not alone and I wish you and your Dad love and best wishes xxx