I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A Chemo question

User
Posted 30 Dec 2017 at 09:24
Hi everyone. I know I must get round to updating Dad’s stats but for now I’ll list again here:

Feb 2017 PSA 19, G9 N0M0.

Zolodex implant.

June 2017 RT

Since June PSAs of 1.6, 8, 10.

Dec 2017 Casodex 50mg.

Awaiting CT scan.

I’m on this forum pretty frequently looking for people with similar stats and also looking for treatment options and of course positive stories about how everyone is coping. Obviously we don’t know what’s going on right now without the scan but I do like to feel as knowledgeable as I can ahead of any appointments that I attend with Dad.

I know we are not at this point but I have been mulling over chemo for a while. I have friends who have had chemo for breast cancer and it’s been incredibly gruelling for them. Is chemo the same for prostate cancer? Is chemo for different cancers different? Are there different side effects, different drugs? I know so little about chemo but I know Dad would be extremely reluctant to go down this path mainly because of what he’s seen my friends go through.

I know I’m jumping the gun a bit here but I want to make sure that if I ever did have to have a chemo discussion with Dad I have some experiences of others to talk to him about. Although of course his treatment path is his decision and I respect that.

Thank you in advance for any advice/support. Gratefully received as always.

PenP.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2017 at 09:53

Yes there are different chemo drugs for different cancers and some are more gruelling than others. 'Chemotherapy' just means 'treatment with chemicals' although it has come to be seen as a specific set of chemicals.

We have members here who have breezed through and even continued working full time. Others have struggled or had to give up because it made them so ill.

Don't assume it is too early to be thinking about chemo. Traditionally it has only been used in the very end stages because chemo does not kill prostate cancer cells. However, recent research has shown that chemo given earlier can make hormone treatment much more effective for longer so I would be a bit concerned if your dad's consultant doesn't start suggesting it as an option soon.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2017 at 09:55

PS remind your dad to ask whether his testosterone level is being checked and if not, why not. It should be 0.69 or less.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Dec 2017 at 10:44
Thank you Lyn. Yes he’s had the T test but we have not been given the results. Waiting for the scan now before seeing consultant so hopefully will be all discussed then. Nurse said they hoping PSA will come down with the Casodex but we will see. Not knowing is pretty rough.