I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

should i stop calcium

User
Posted 06 Jan 2018 at 19:18

hi, recently my gp told me to stop taking my daily 5000iu of d3 because my level is a bit high,from what i have read it increases calcium in the body, do you think i should also stop calcium foods like alpro yoghurt,i also take the supplement dim which has 340mgs calcium,any help appreciated.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2018 at 21:26

Too much calcium produces bones spurs I think (?)

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jan 2018 at 21:54

Hi Radar,

I have also read that too much calcium is not good for PCa.

I’m on Accrete D3 for Vitamin D, which I see has 600 mg calcium and 10 mcg/400 IU colecalciferol (Vit D).

I’m going to check with my GP the calcium intake when I see him next.

After treatment he put me on Statins which I see may give a bit more protection against PCa recurrence.

G

Just checking and found these on CR UK

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/physically/blood-calcium/high-calcium-people-cancer

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/physically/blood-calcium/your-body-calcium

Might explain your GP's advice.

Edited by member 06 Jan 2018 at 22:18  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 18:09

Radar, you have illustrated very well the risks of well-intentioned (but ultimately self-defeating) self-prescribing of dietary supplements. Your GP has given you good advice. Stick to a well-balanced diet and exercise and dump the additives, mate!

AC

User
Posted 07 Jan 2018 at 18:51

But the alpro yoghurt should be fine - lots of good stuff in it and only a small amount of calcium

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Jan 2018 at 09:30

thanks, i do take some supplements  because i have recently been dx with some arthritis in my hips,cytoplan krill oil, pomi-t vit k2 astragalus which i believe helped my immune system when i had rt,i told them and they said its ok,also estrobalance  with dim which supports healthy estrogen 1 daily =dim = 2lbs of broccolli,and ubiquinol q10 and milk thistle and vit b12,i have been taking these for a while,makes me feel as though i am doing something to help myself,

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 22:53

Just a thought on the affects of taking PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) long term and the uptake of calcium.

I've been on PPIs for over two decades for acid reflux and in all that time I have never had my calcium (and magnesium) levels checked and this despite the fact that checks are recommended for long time users of this medication.

Could there be a hidden benefit from the PPIs in the form of keeping my calcium levels low but at the same time increasing the risk of brittle bones?

Non dairy for almost 10 years now, so apart from fruit, veg and the calcium supplement in the soya milk, not a lot reaching my stomach in the first place where the PPIs will make sure little is taken up.

I think its time I gave my GP a nudge in the direction of a check on my calcium and magnesium levels.

Best wishes to all.

Edited by member 11 Jan 2018 at 22:54  | Reason: Not specified

Roger