I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting for surgery

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 12:21
I have just come home, Sunday, after having robotic surgery last Friday to have my prostate removed. I was terrified when my wife had to leave and I had to go into the waiting area to wait for surgery. I probably lay there for 2 hours before I was taken in. In the theatre there were so many staff coming at me from all angles. The next I knew I was waking up and someone asking me if I knew what had happened, to see if I was compus mentus I think. I said I had had a colostomy and my proton taken away, so expect they had a laugh at that..

It was after 7 in evening before I got to ward and my family got in. I was groggy but able to speak to them. They realised this and didn't stay long once they knew I'd come through op ok. Over the next few days I had very good care from the nursing staff and on the Sunday was able to go a walk to front door to wait for my visitors. I did not have any appetite in hospital but expect that's normal after an op.

I was worried about getting home and managing my catheter and injections but I think being home gives you the confidence to cope. I am managing fine, gradually getting my appetite back and learning to live withe wounds and the catheter. This is going to be removed 7 days from now at my local hospital and I'll just take it from there. Will have to wait to see outcome, if I may need radiotherapy but thankful to know surgery is over and getting stronger each day.

I would say to all the other guys who were at surgical school with me at queen Elizabeth hospital and waiting on surgery, don't worry too much, it was not as bad as I expected and the only way is up for me. Many thanks to the surgeon and all his team. I am so grateful to you all.

User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 15:28

Hello Gerrytony

Thanks for the update.

I am so glad that all seems to be well following the op. Just try not to get constipated.

Your post will encourage many men awaiting or planning the surgery.

Good luck for the catheter removal.

Wishing you a continued and speedy recovery

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Jan 2018 at 16:34
Gerrytony

Second the advice on avoiding the constipation, keep your water intake up, it helps flush the bladder and will also help with your motions. Keep active but no marathons just yet.

Stay relaxed when you go for the Catheter removal and Twoc, again on the day of the TWOC make sure you drink plenty and make sure you take some pads and a towel to put on your car seat just in case.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Chris