Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

11 years with Gleason 9

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 11:52

Hi Guys,

I am a rare visitor to this site these days, but I thought I should touch base again to thank those who supported me when I needed help, and to encourage those of you who are worried and recently diagnosed.

Briefly I was diagnosed Gleason 9, T3 etc back in 2007.  I had the old external beam RT and HT which wasn't a total success.  So back for salvage HDR brachytherapy 3 years ago.  (Full details in my profile).

So here I am two years since I stopped HT, and my PSA test last week shows it dropped to 0.4 down from 0.5 last September.

Far better results than I dared hope for back in 2007.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 11:52

Hi Guys,

I am a rare visitor to this site these days, but I thought I should touch base again to thank those who supported me when I needed help, and to encourage those of you who are worried and recently diagnosed.

Briefly I was diagnosed Gleason 9, T3 etc back in 2007.  I had the old external beam RT and HT which wasn't a total success.  So back for salvage HDR brachytherapy 3 years ago.  (Full details in my profile).

So here I am two years since I stopped HT, and my PSA test last week shows it dropped to 0.4 down from 0.5 last September.

Far better results than I dared hope for back in 2007.

Dave 

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 22:35
A great good news story, along with ours, these stories are so needed for our newbies. I remember how scared we were on diagnosis and couldn’t find any Gleason 9s and 10s alive and well and yet here we are. Fantastic! Here is John Gleason 10 still going after seven years and you challenging him to 11, challenge accepted! Amazing. Thank you.

Lots of love

Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 17:57
Dave

I was diagnosed T3b and Gleason 9 one year ago. You've no idea how welcome your message is. Thank you.

I promise to write a similar message in ten years' time.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 15:07
Hi dave fantastic news so pleased for you thank you for posting your journey it gives us some hope for a p/c free future, my OH age 52 same diagnosis as you gleason9 t3b seminal vesicle invasion hes been on zoladex since september 17 will be on it for possibly another2 years he had HD brachytherapy at st james leeds 29th december17, started external beam radiotherapy IMRT 15th jan18, 23 sessions in total, its his 3rd session today, hes still working in a manual job otherwise fit and healthy, feels well no side effects apart from loss of libido etc but a small price to pay as long as its keeping it away..thank you again for sharing your news and giving hope and reassurance..i cant thank you all on this site enough for the support and advice you give it means so much especially in the begining when first diagnosed..best wishes keep keeping well.jo.xx
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 15:07
Hi dave fantastic news so pleased for you thank you for posting your journey it gives us some hope for a p/c free future, my OH age 52 same diagnosis as you gleason9 t3b seminal vesicle invasion hes been on zoladex since september 17 will be on it for possibly another2 years he had HD brachytherapy at st james leeds 29th december17, started external beam radiotherapy IMRT 15th jan18, 23 sessions in total, its his 3rd session today, hes still working in a manual job otherwise fit and healthy, feels well no side effects apart from loss of libido etc but a small price to pay as long as its keeping it away..thank you again for sharing your news and giving hope and reassurance..i cant thank you all on this site enough for the support and advice you give it means so much especially in the begining when first diagnosed..best wishes keep keeping well.jo.xx
User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 15:11

Thanks for posting Dave.

Your upbeat result will give hope to those who started where you did.

Long may you continue your progress

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 15:12
Hiya Dave,

Just read your recent post and it has indeed give me a lift due mostly to the length of time since your diagnosis. Also,it's good that your psa has decreased, as you say far better than you dared hope for back in 2007.

I was diagnosed early 2015.I was 57 years old and recently retired. My psa was 9.1, Gleason 7 contained in the capsule. I had a Da Vinci prostatectomy in July 2015. Unfortunately my psa rose steadily over 2 years from 0.02 to 0.08, then a recent test was 0.12 so I have been referred to oncologist with salvage radiotherapy being the most likely option.It certainly a peak and trough roller coaster ride mate isn't it. I'm a newcomer to this site and I already find it helpful.All the best to Dave and thanks again for posting.

Paul

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 15:14

That's a great result Dave - congratulations. Remind me, did you have metformin at some point as well?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 15:23
Hi Dave.

Good to hear you are still going strong.

I too was DX back in June 2015 aged 55 with G9, PSA 32 and T3B. Had the RP, RT and 2 years HT. Was hoping to come off HT but unfortunately due to some discomfort in my shoulders the consultant sent me for a bone scan which showed a few small clusters. So don't know what to expect nwzt. My PSA had been 0.2 undetectable up till December when it became 0.2 detectable.

Meet with Oncologist this Friday for next treatment stage. Been told that there is still plenty of treatments left but I just feel so deflated at the moment due to reading survival rates after being told that my cancer is of the aggressive type.

Your story has given me some hope for the future. Good luck o the future mate.

Sandy

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 17:07

Hi Dave
Lovely to see you back and posting. Gosh you’ve been so lucky in an ironic way , and long long long may it continue. I’m chuffed for you and grateful for your help in my early days !

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 17:23

Hi Dave and well done, Tony is just ahead of ypou, gleason 9T3B seminals invaded he was diagnosed april 2006 so now in his 12th year. life is good.
regards Barbara x

Edited by member 17 Jan 2018 at 17:24  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 17:57
Dave

I was diagnosed T3b and Gleason 9 one year ago. You've no idea how welcome your message is. Thank you.

I promise to write a similar message in ten years' time.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 18:47
Such a great post to read, I’ve just read it out to David and he’s grinning like a Cheshire Cat 🐱as he had the same diagnosis as you. We are with you ulsterman, long may this continue chaps. So pleased for you Dave.

leila

User
Posted 17 Jan 2018 at 20:28
A good news post , you can’t beat them .

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 18 Jan 2018 at 12:12

Hi Dave,

Great news. Thanks for posting.

Take care

Dave C (Chaps)

User
Posted 18 Jan 2018 at 20:48

Excellent news - encouraging for many on this forum

Barry
User
Posted 18 Jan 2018 at 21:23

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes Lynn, I am still on metformin (I will never know if Zoladex triggered the diabetes or if it was a coincidence).

After I finished on HT in 2015 I thought I would get cracking on the beat diabetes diet, 500-800 calories a day etc,  I lost 2 stone, and ended up in ambulance after falling over in the street with too low blood pressure because I hadn't got medication 'reviewed'.

Cut a long story short I have put most of that weight back on, still borderline diabetic, still taking metformin and blood pressure tablets, but not as many as I used to.

You may also be surprised to hear that I managed to give up smoking, nearly a year now.

So all I have left in life is whisky and wild, wild, women!

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jan 2018 at 22:35
A great good news story, along with ours, these stories are so needed for our newbies. I remember how scared we were on diagnosis and couldn’t find any Gleason 9s and 10s alive and well and yet here we are. Fantastic! Here is John Gleason 10 still going after seven years and you challenging him to 11, challenge accepted! Amazing. Thank you.

Lots of love

Devonmaid xx