I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hubby in theatre for RP

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 10:13

I am a long time stalker, no time poster.  However, this site and all of you lovely people have helped me over the past few months.  Last August my lovely 65 year old hubby was diagnosed after a psa of 7.3 with Gleanson 8 pca in the right side only of his prostate gland.  Bone scan was clear, but with a prostate size of 210 and Gleason 8 surgery was recommended over radiotherapy.  However, the lovely consultants at Addenbrookes felt that surgery was too risky as the prostate almost filled the pelvic cavity.  Three months of hormone treatment and the prostate had reduced to 120 by mid December and surgery was agreed.  We came down to Addenbrookes last night, up at 5 for pre-op prep, checked in at 7 and hubby first on the list down to surgery at 8am.  My husband has wanted to know very little about his pca (both his father and brothers died of prostrate cancer), I on the other hand wanted to know EVERYTHING.  Having suffered from breast cancer myself last year (hubby was diagnosed as I completed radiotherapy) and having been on this journey, information for me has been power, helping me  to feel more in control.  I found reading other stories and experiences, many tinged with a sense of humour which helps us all in difficult times,  cathartic and reassuring.  Many times I have sat and read the posts on here and I feel I have got to know you all personally Auld Codger, Nikon Steve, Chris J, Lynn, Devon Maid and many more too numerous to mention.

So it is 10.15 am and I have been told I can ring about 11.15 for news about my darling husband, and it is now in this emotional time that I am turning to you all again my dear friends.  You don't know me and I don't know you, but we share a bond and you don't know how much yu brave beautiful people have helped this silent lurker over the past few months.

Thank you all.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 10:13

I am a long time stalker, no time poster.  However, this site and all of you lovely people have helped me over the past few months.  Last August my lovely 65 year old hubby was diagnosed after a psa of 7.3 with Gleanson 8 pca in the right side only of his prostate gland.  Bone scan was clear, but with a prostate size of 210 and Gleason 8 surgery was recommended over radiotherapy.  However, the lovely consultants at Addenbrookes felt that surgery was too risky as the prostate almost filled the pelvic cavity.  Three months of hormone treatment and the prostate had reduced to 120 by mid December and surgery was agreed.  We came down to Addenbrookes last night, up at 5 for pre-op prep, checked in at 7 and hubby first on the list down to surgery at 8am.  My husband has wanted to know very little about his pca (both his father and brothers died of prostrate cancer), I on the other hand wanted to know EVERYTHING.  Having suffered from breast cancer myself last year (hubby was diagnosed as I completed radiotherapy) and having been on this journey, information for me has been power, helping me  to feel more in control.  I found reading other stories and experiences, many tinged with a sense of humour which helps us all in difficult times,  cathartic and reassuring.  Many times I have sat and read the posts on here and I feel I have got to know you all personally Auld Codger, Nikon Steve, Chris J, Lynn, Devon Maid and many more too numerous to mention.

So it is 10.15 am and I have been told I can ring about 11.15 for news about my darling husband, and it is now in this emotional time that I am turning to you all again my dear friends.  You don't know me and I don't know you, but we share a bond and you don't know how much yu brave beautiful people have helped this silent lurker over the past few months.

Thank you all.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 12:54

Hi Jo,

What a lovely post. I hope the operation went really well and your Husband makes a good and speedy recovery.

How tough it must have been to complete your treatment, then your Husband receive his diagnosis.

Life dishes it out at times.

Best wishes,

G

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 13:02

Such a nice post and shows us all that even if you don’t share you are receiving help and advice and experiences from others. That’s what it is all about. Getting the info out there and made available and helping others. The forum is for everyone whether they post or not.
Your first post moved me a little. Sending love and hope it went ok x

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 14:38

A lovely post from you Jo and it is true that knowledge is power .

Knowledge gained from the people on this site, or the publications, can help form the questions that the PC sufferer or partner wouldn't know they wanted answers to!

Not only are the people on here informative through experience, they are happy to share that experience and to support each other as best they can.

Our personal journey is so different from those such as yours and I can only sit back and admire all of you brave people who wake every day knowing that you have to make tough decisions.

Good luck to both of you. I hope your darling man makes a good recovery in all areas.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 26 Jan 2018 at 14:39  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 16:56
I really hope all goes well for your husband, you, and your family. You are right about this great and supportive site. What a lovely post, thank you.

With the Very Best Wishes, Paul.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 16:58
A lovely post Jo. My wife found the waiting during surgery very trying.

I hope all has gone well for your hubby today and that he recovers well over the coming weeks.

Best wishes to you both, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:48

Madwife, glad to have been of help and very flattered to be mentioned! The numbers and other facts you quote suggest that you have done well to catch this beast of a cancer early. I'm sure that your husband will come through this with your help and you will have many fulfilling years together ahead of you both. Stay positive, be prepared for some early hiccups, which you will overcome, work on making a full recovery (don't forget the exercises as soon as they are allowed), good balanced diet and gentle regular exercise and think about booking a holiday to get some early sun and vitamin D. Every little helps!

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 20:58

Thank you all for your lovely comments, again what a fab bunch of people. Hubby came back to the ward at 3.30pm eventually, and is doing well. I promptly fainted and was sent down to A and E with dangerously low blood pressure!!!! We always said we would do things together - both had cancer and both laid up at the same time. I am sure we will laugh about it in the months to come. Thank you all once again - oh and AC we definitely have a great holiday booked in May, to celebrate my hubby's retirement as this has given us both the wake up call to enjoy our time together. Thank you again,

Jox

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 23:57
Hi,

Hope all is going well. It is coming up to 3 years since I was in the situation your husband finds himself in. Thankfully all is fine for me and my milestones are detailed in my profile. He has a few little battles to overcome over the next couple of months. He needs to listen to his body and take things easy. I wish you both well.

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 12:54

Hi Jo,

What a lovely post. I hope the operation went really well and your Husband makes a good and speedy recovery.

How tough it must have been to complete your treatment, then your Husband receive his diagnosis.

Life dishes it out at times.

Best wishes,

G

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 13:02

Such a nice post and shows us all that even if you don’t share you are receiving help and advice and experiences from others. That’s what it is all about. Getting the info out there and made available and helping others. The forum is for everyone whether they post or not.
Your first post moved me a little. Sending love and hope it went ok x

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 14:38

A lovely post from you Jo and it is true that knowledge is power .

Knowledge gained from the people on this site, or the publications, can help form the questions that the PC sufferer or partner wouldn't know they wanted answers to!

Not only are the people on here informative through experience, they are happy to share that experience and to support each other as best they can.

Our personal journey is so different from those such as yours and I can only sit back and admire all of you brave people who wake every day knowing that you have to make tough decisions.

Good luck to both of you. I hope your darling man makes a good recovery in all areas.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 26 Jan 2018 at 14:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 16:56
I really hope all goes well for your husband, you, and your family. You are right about this great and supportive site. What a lovely post, thank you.

With the Very Best Wishes, Paul.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 16:58
A lovely post Jo. My wife found the waiting during surgery very trying.

I hope all has gone well for your hubby today and that he recovers well over the coming weeks.

Best wishes to you both, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 17:48

Madwife, glad to have been of help and very flattered to be mentioned! The numbers and other facts you quote suggest that you have done well to catch this beast of a cancer early. I'm sure that your husband will come through this with your help and you will have many fulfilling years together ahead of you both. Stay positive, be prepared for some early hiccups, which you will overcome, work on making a full recovery (don't forget the exercises as soon as they are allowed), good balanced diet and gentle regular exercise and think about booking a holiday to get some early sun and vitamin D. Every little helps!

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 20:58

Thank you all for your lovely comments, again what a fab bunch of people. Hubby came back to the ward at 3.30pm eventually, and is doing well. I promptly fainted and was sent down to A and E with dangerously low blood pressure!!!! We always said we would do things together - both had cancer and both laid up at the same time. I am sure we will laugh about it in the months to come. Thank you all once again - oh and AC we definitely have a great holiday booked in May, to celebrate my hubby's retirement as this has given us both the wake up call to enjoy our time together. Thank you again,

Jox

User
Posted 27 Jan 2018 at 23:57
Hi,

Hope all is going well. It is coming up to 3 years since I was in the situation your husband finds himself in. Thankfully all is fine for me and my milestones are detailed in my profile. He has a few little battles to overcome over the next couple of months. He needs to listen to his body and take things easy. I wish you both well.

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 13:29

Thanks Paul, we are at home now and he is doing really well.  Thank you for your words of advice very welcome x

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 14:00

Hope you are both recovering well now Jo.

What some wives will do eh to get a little attention !! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

User
Posted 28 Jan 2018 at 21:17

Thanks Sandra.  We are both home - what a relief.  All feels a bit surreal.  Just glad the op is over and Steve is getting back to his usual self.  A nice victoria sandwich and a cup of tea went down well! x