I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Big toe nails stopped growing !

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 19:09

Yes I know ,sounds a bit weird and I apologise for putting such a daft post on this excellent site .The site has been so useful to me throughout my diagnosis and  treatment.

Since I had a robotic Prostatectomy in April last year .Both my big toe nails then stopped growing,

I've been to the doctor twice who told me to take Multi vitamins with iron .I've also been to a  chiropodist who suggested I use a special nail oil. 

The left big toe nail has started to grow again and has a bid ridge across it whilst the right nail is still dormant I haven't cut it since April 2017.

Has any one else had this problem ,I wondered if it was the shock of the op. on my body or perhaps to do with the daily Jabs .or of course it could be completely unconnected.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts 

R.

User
Posted 30 Jan 2018 at 20:11

You know how looking at a cut tree you can count the rings to see how old it is? Well, the ridges on toe nails indicate when there has been a serious illness or major stress. It has a proper name although I can't think what it is right now.

So not a daft thing to post at all and I am surprised that the chiropodist couldn't reassure you that it was simply a mark that your body had stopped growing nails to concentrate on healing physically and mentally from being diagnosed and then having major surgery. Hopefully now you are feeling fit and have come to terms with what happened - and your nails will need cutting before you know it :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 31 Jan 2018 at 19:04

Thanks Lyn,

Feel quite re-assured ,thought no one was taking me seriously , I know it's hardly life threatening and at least now I know why.

Thank you and all of the community, you have been immensely helpful and a great help to me from diagnosis through to today ,

9 months post-op .

I am currently very well , with no major side effects and glad  I chose the robotic surgery option to minimise  the cancer threat