Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Waiting for Scan results

User
Posted 01 Feb 2018 at 20:13

Hi to you all

Yes, a bit of a shock, but I've joined the club.

I was diagnosed with PC ten days ago and have limited information at the moment.

My PSA is 6.52

I have had an MRI scan and it indicates the cancer is only in the Prostate.

I have had a Biopsy that shows cancer cells both sides, and a Gleason score of 8 (3 + 5)

I have had a bone scan that shows CLEAR (Hurrah)

I am still awaiting results of a CT scan probably in the next day or so.

I have already been asked if I have any thoughts on treatment.

Treatment will obviously depend on whether the cancer is only in the Prostate or not.

I am 69 next month and generally in good health.

I have said that at the moment, if possible I would opt for Surgery (Radical Prostatectomy)

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice comparing Surgery with Radiotherapy or Brachytherapy?

Thanks for reading

Edited by member 02 Feb 2018 at 16:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 05:49

Hello Jo

Thank you so much for the reply which I find really encouraging.

All my scan results are now through and indicate the cancer is only in the prostate.

We have decided to go for surgery and we see the Surgeon this afternoon.

Yes, my wife will be at my side throughout this journey.

I wish you the very best recovery and clear years to come.

Kindest regards

Roger

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 09:17

Good luck Roger and Mrs Roger.

Hope all goes well with your future op

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 12:16

Hello ear2stay and welcome to the site.

I fully expect you to get replies with helpful information so just hang in there until somebody comes along with the necessary experience (which I don't have)

Hope all goes well with your treatment.

IF you can give us all the information as you get it, it will help, including your age

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 15:56

My results were similar to yours. Mine was prostate cancer and surgery seemed the only choice for me. My operation was in December and I making a steady recovery.

You have to do what you think is best for you. Read all the stuff of the web pages.

Good Luck  

User
Posted 02 Feb 2018 at 17:44

Ear2stay,

I don't think you can be given advice on one method versus another in your case. Success rates are broadly similar. What will help you decide is chatting to your oncologist and your urologist and forming a view from the confidence they give you in terms of what they expect to achieve. There are upsides and downsides to each of the options, so I'm afraid you have a knotty problem to solve, but whichever route you choose, you should be on a curative path, so the very best of luck.

AC

User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 08:05

Hi Sandra

Thanks for the reply and encouraging words. 

Roger

User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 08:09

Thanks for your comments. Would you be happy to share more detail of your experience with me? If you would rather not Post then perhaps through email!

Thanks

Roger

User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 10:04

My husband had permanent seed brachytherapy Roger, when he was in his early 70s.

He had few problems with the treatment.

However, it isn't suitable for everyone and could possibly produce problems for him further down the line, perhaps with bowel cancer. At his age though, we felt that was a risk worth taking.

It might be that it isn't a suitable treatment for a much younger man.

There are two kinds of Brachytherapy. HD (where a rod is inserted for short period then removed) and the seed kind.

You would need to research either thoroughly. But then, you will need to research all treatments and all the possible side effects.

Click on my avatar and you can read his journey.

I keep rather like a diary as it helps me when I have to fill out his paperwork !!

Edited by member 03 Feb 2018 at 10:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Feb 2018 at 21:54

Hello Roger,

My husband was diagnosed last August with fairly similar results to yourself.  He has a Gleason 8, 4 plus 4 in one side of the prostrate.  We were councilled for either radiotherapy and HT or surgery, but both the oncologist and surgeon felt that surgery would be preferable as a curative treatment due to the fact Steve had a very large prostrate.  We agreed to surgery and were referred to Addenbrookes last August.  However, at that point surgery was deemed too risky as the prostrate was so large it filled the pelvic cavity.  Steve had three months of hormone treatment which successfully shrunk the prostrate by 50% and he had a robot assisted RP at Addenbrookes on 26th January.  Just to share our experience the op went well and Steve was discharged within 24 hours.  The catheter has been a bit uncomfortable, but instillagel  (a local anaesthetic gel)has helped enormously, but the speed of recovery really has been amazing.  We now have a six weeks wait to find out the results of the surgery fingers crossed.  For us there was absolutely no doubt that we wanted the cancer gone, and as for the side effects, we will deal with those as a couple together.  Whatever happens we have each other and the potential for a cure far outweighed any other long term side effects.  Happy to update you on our journey, the catheter comes out on Tuesday.

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 05:49

Hello Jo

Thank you so much for the reply which I find really encouraging.

All my scan results are now through and indicate the cancer is only in the prostate.

We have decided to go for surgery and we see the Surgeon this afternoon.

Yes, my wife will be at my side throughout this journey.

I wish you the very best recovery and clear years to come.

Kindest regards

Roger

User
Posted 07 Feb 2018 at 09:17

Good luck Roger and Mrs Roger.

Hope all goes well with your future op