Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Should I Get Checked?

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 12:25

Hi All,

New member here, been worrying for a while, I guess you will all tell me to go get checked, but thought I'd ask anyway.

My Grandfather died a number of years ago, in his 70's, from Prostate cancer. My father died 3 years ago, aged 63, from Prostate cancer.

My father was diagnosed at age 50, when he was diagnosed I went to my GP to ask about screening, I was told unless I had any symptoms to come back when I was aged 40, as normally they would screen from 10 years before the previous generation was diagnosed. My father died soon after my 40th birthday, so this was the nudge I needed to go back to my GP, again, I was told, if I was having no symptoms come back at age 45. I told my GP I didn't think I had any symptoms.

Now, I'm 43, and I am not sure if I have symptoms or not! I half think I am probably imagining them, and half think maybe they are symptoms!

I don't often have the need to urinate during the night, if I do, it's normally only once, and I often have a beer or 2 in the evening, so this would figure. However, I think the flow of urine may have slowed a little, i'm sure it used to be a faster flow, but again, I do wonder if I am imagining this! I have sat to urinate for as long as I can remember, I just prefer it this way, it feels I can empty my bladder better this way, for many years I seem to dribble if I urinate standing, not all the time, but many times, so this may also be nothing. I do find if I am bursting for a wee it doesn't flow quick enough, I feel it should flow quicker, I can't seem to force it to be any quicker, also, I find in the morning, or if I am bursting, I can urinate, but maybe 1 or 2 minutes later I can squeeze another small amount out, sometimes in the morning I can even squeeze another bit out another couple of minutes later again.

Are these signs or should I leave it until I am 45 like my GP has suggested?

Thanks for your advice!

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 13:17

Hello fordie and welcome

Personally I would ask the doctor for a PSA, in fact I would be quite adamant that I wanted the peace of mind.

You have a strong family history so getting checked early can only be a good thing (imo).

Yes, it could prove a "false negative" if the PSA comes back higher than expected. At least with the first PSA test you have a baseline for the future.

As for worrying about the urinating, that could possibly be overthinking it (ie thinking about it produces the need to go)

I would be interested in what other members offer in the way of advice

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 14:56

Sometimes a pouch can form in your bladder (called a diverticulum). Often it does not completely empty when you urinate so then you need to go again. This happens with me and additionally I have a narrowed sphincter and for many years have been taking Tamsulosin to help relax the muscles. But this is just a possibility and I agree to get a PSA test and in need ask to see a different doctor. Urinary track infections can be very resistant to antibiotics so when these are prescribed should be given adequate time to work and if necessary alternative antibiotics given.

Barry
User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 21:19

I would go ahead and have the test.
My husband's dad died of Pca and he asked about a test.
He was told to come back if he ever got any symptoms.
My husband never did get any symptoms but he was diagnosed with Advanced Pca with wide spread throughout his bones and lymph nodes.
Hopefully you won't have Pca and this test will give you a useful baseline result to compare against in the future.
Even if you do have it (and fingers crossed you won't) the earlier it's found the easier it is to treat.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 22:01
Fordie

Probably from about the age of fifty I would often sit to pee because of terminal dribbling. I would shake the penis,milk it, put it away and dribble down my leg.I never made any connection to prostate problems but 12 years later I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

As other comments you will at least get a baseline figure.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 22:01
Fordie

Probably from about the age of fifty I would often sit to pee because of terminal dribbling. I would shake the penis,milk it, put it away and dribble down my leg.I never made any connection to prostate problems but 12 years later I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

As other comments you will at least get a baseline figure.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 23:03
Hi Fordie. I think you have answered your own question. The fact you are worrying about it shows you need to be pro active and get yourself a PSA test.

Although you are on the young side to have PC it cannot be ruled out. At least if it's ok as others have said you will have a baseline figure for comparison later on.

It will hopefully give you peace of mind too.

I don't think any right thinking GP would deny you the test either, given your family history. If they do see another.

Regards

Ann

User
Posted 05 Feb 2018 at 23:58
I'd get a PSA test. Insist on it. I was 46 when diagnosed. I don't think it's an old man's disease. With your family history, I find it hard to believe your gp hasn't done a test.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 00:03

Look, the family link is often overplayed in terms of prostate cancer. However, your dad was diagnosed very young (and all those years ago that would have been very unusual) and that increases your risk of early onset significantly. Get the test - if the GP says no then ask to see a different one.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Feb 2018 at 16:28

You may want to gauge how bad your urinary symptoms are by using the International Prostate Symptom Score. You can download a copy here. I complete this every six months when I visit the Royal Marsden although in my case it is to check my symptoms after treatment (HR and RT). 

It will give you some idea of the severity of your symptoms and give you information to show your GP.