I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biochemical relapse

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 15:00
6 years after radiotherapy for prostate cancer, I have prostate cancer recurrence.

I had bladder cancer in 2015 and had bladder and most of prostate removed. My PSA had been at 0.1.

After my op in December 2015, I had first PSA check and it was 0.006, but they had found positive margins on removal of most of prostate.

6 months later PSA was 0.3, 6 months later 0,7, then November 2017 was 2.68. Had bone scan and CT in December 2017, which showed nothing.

Oncologist says we'll wait until PSA hits 20, but is sure it has spread somewhere, and will be untreatable, but hormones may control it for a while.

Had PSA bloods done last week and get results this Friday. I do not want to do HT again.

Anyone been through this?

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 16:20

Hello Oliviaben09, sorry to see that your PSA is going up again. I have had a different treatment route to you, prostatectomy in July 2015, Recurrence September 2016, HT started December 2016 (3 weeks Casodex with PROSTAP injections at week 2) and will continue with 12 weekly PROSTAP injections until at least the end of April 2019. Salvage radiotherapy March/April 2017.

I have been told there is a high chance I have micrometastasis but the answer to that will not be known for a bit yet.

Looking at your situation I can't see any option than to go back on HT possibly combined with chemotherapy.

You clearly do not want that (understandable) so hopefully others will come along with alternative views and talk about other options.

Wishing you all the best, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 19:18

Oliviaben09,

I too had bladder cancer on top of PCa, about six years ago and bladder and prostate and umpteen lymph nodes removed. Without HT, I would not have been around to enjoy that period. It is your call, but in the present state of the science, I doubt if you can avoid HT if you want to outlive the PCa.

AC

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 20:10

Hi, it seems that they believe you have micromets? Based on the rate of increase in your PSA they will probably be able to calculate how quickly the disease would run out of control.

My father-in-law refused hormone treatment and lived for 4 years. My dad has also refused HT but his PSA doubling time is quite slow and the consultant has calculated that he could have another 20 years at the current rate. Dad has agreed to discuss again and maybe move stance when the PSA gets to 25.

It is your right to refuse treatment but you will probably have to sign something to say that you understand that this means you will probably die of the cancer or its impact on other organs / bodily functions.

Did they check your adrenal glands, pancreas, etc? Sometimes, raised PSA is caused by other cancers.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard