I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate (help)

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 15:18

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

Can anyone help me.  My father was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in 11th January 2018.  Before this time he only had minor systems for which prompted him to go to the Doctors.

He had a bone scan to see if it had spread.  Whilst waiting for the results, we all as a family went away for the weekend.  My dad was dancing and chasing us around the house.

On our return, in his sleep he had a seizure.  (He missed a few doses of Eplilim for non convulsive epilepsy).  Unfortunately, this put him in Hospital where he is to this date 12th February.  Because of the seizure he caused a hairline fracture near his hip.

The results came back and it was found that the Cancer had spread to his hip (the fracture side), his arm, pelvis and back.  This resulted in him having a traction on his leg.

In this time, the hospital have missed his injection in his tummy (to stop blood from clotting)

Missed his hormone (Prostate) tablet and thought it was funny when we reminded them

Closing the door on him and leaving him for lengthy periods.  He could not reach the button, had an accident and when they eventually came to clean him up they left his hands full of S***.  We arrived to see him in this state.  My father is very capable, has not lost his marbles and knows exactly what is going on.  He is a very proud man and does not deserve to be treated this way.

The Doctors (from 3 Hospitals) decided that they could not do anything for my Father because his bones are too week.  (He was running around last week????)

Then he picked up an infection and was quite poorly.  They said he may not last the night and that he probably only has 6 months to live. THE NEXT MORNING, he was sat up in bed laughing and joking.

Last night he fell out of bed as he decided that being that the door was shut again and he couldn't reach the buzzer again, he would undo the traction and make his way to the toilet.  Has he is not strong enough, he fell and was lay on the floor for nearly two hours?

He then had to have another Xray.  We were told that the Xrays would be back in an hours time.  We waited two hours and tried to find a Nurse.  There were no Nurses on the Ward for over an hour and which time we had to leave our Father.

THIS IS THE BEST BIT.

This morning, they told us there was no damage but due to the fall his leg has improved and they may be able to help him walk again???????????  Please somebody tell me we are being fobbed off here because he is 80 years old.

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 15:34

Hello Jenny and welcome to the site.

Your poor dad sounds like he isn't getting the best care.

Could I ask, is he in an English NHS hospital?

I don't have the necessary knowledge regarding bone mets and fractures but I hope that somebody will be along to advise you.

Poor dad, poor you!!

I don't understand either how he can be in a bad way yesterday and told this morning he has improved overnight ???!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 19:25

Jenny, my advice is to talk to your Dad's consultant oncologist and leave go nurses to stew. You can make a complaint through PALS if the nursing care isn't up to scratch, but seeing the Consultant may change everything.

AC

User
Posted 12 Feb 2018 at 19:54

Jenny this sounds awful for you as family watchiing from the sides but are you sure that dad fully understands the situation? If he understood that he has broken his hip and has bone mets, why did he try to get up and walk?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard