I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Anyone had a PET scan

User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 18:23
So here I am again. I really didn't know which category to put this question in. For those who don't know me my hubby had prostate cancer 5 years ago and had radio therapy. His PSA started to creep up so he was referred back to the consultant. After various scans the latest one being an MRI (results not yet back) He's being sent for a PET scan. This is due to changes in his pelvic area and from the recent CT scan a lesion on his lung. He has no symptoms, feels fit and well. Has anyone else had a PET scan and found more than you bargained for. The consultant says it will pick up prostate cancer cells anywhere

Kind regards

Denise

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 17:07

Thanks Barry. His PSA has been rising by half the last couple of months. It's now at 3. I'm sure we will both feel better when we know fully what's happening.
Denise x

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 17:13

I had one at Birmingham which I had hoped would show only the mothership tumour. Alas, it picked up three micromets not showing on earlier CAT scans and stymied the treatment I was hoping to get at Brum. So it is worth having done. I had it done as part of a second opinion on the urology front so free on the NHS.

AC

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 19:03
Still awaiting the results of my PSMA Gallium 68 scan - my onco' s on holiday! With a post-prostatectomy PSA result of 0.023, I realise it probably won't have picked up anything, but I've no regrets getting it done. I'll keep you all posted.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:34

There are different types of PET scan using different tracers. Chris J's cancer cells manage to avoid being detected despite having 2 kinds of advanced scans. Reliability of tracer can indeed be a problem as some of us have experienced with these but also some cancer cells are so finely dispersed that it is difficult to see them. In other cases, as AC reported, they can show more consolidated cancer areas not previously known about. Then again as in my case one hospital interpreted my scan as cancer in an iliac lymph node whereas 3 other hospitals who looked at the same scan were unconvinced. In short, scans may not provide a definitive result in all cases.

Barry
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 17:49

Hi Barry
I still haven’t managed to discover if my outlook is more bleak with a possible large amount of cells but widely dispersed?? Onco hasn’t offered advice tbh. I’ve got a CT and bone in the next 2 weeks and really quite worried. I’m sort of happy where I am at the moment but know it won’t last forever .-//

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 19:20

Hello , if you read my profile you will see I’ve had 2 PET scans. A Choline PET at Oxford and a PSMA PET at UCLH London. I also have very high PSA since surgery and rapid doubling time. Neither scan showed anything at all even though my psa is still rising. However they are reputed to be the Gold Standard and are supposed to be able to detect a Clanger fart in a different galaxy. The scan technology is totally sound. I think the problem is around the awful reliability of the tracer injection quality as it is so hard to manufacture and deliver at the right time. My hospital isn’t rating PET scans at the mo due to this unreliability , but if they get the tracer right the scans are awesome

User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 19:22

denstar, if you put PET scan in the search box (the show search box just above your post - not the SEARCH box above that) it will bring up a few conversations on PET scans and you may be able to pick up a few hints on there

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 20:20

Thank you both, we are just in a waiting game again x

User
Posted 14 Feb 2018 at 20:37

I had two CT/PET scans , one at a PSA level of 1.70 showed nothing ,

one at PSA level 3.1 showed tumors ,

one in pelvis , one in spine , one in shoulder , I opted for early chemo , no cure but it should make injections like Zoledex work better for longer , 

hope this helps 

PS

search for recurrent prostate cancer  studies on google

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 17:07

Thanks Barry. His PSA has been rising by half the last couple of months. It's now at 3. I'm sure we will both feel better when we know fully what's happening.
Denise x

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 17:13

I had one at Birmingham which I had hoped would show only the mothership tumour. Alas, it picked up three micromets not showing on earlier CAT scans and stymied the treatment I was hoping to get at Brum. So it is worth having done. I had it done as part of a second opinion on the urology front so free on the NHS.

AC

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 17:26

We are just waiting for the appointment now. Hopefully it will be soon. When you've beat this dreaded disease once we didn't think we'd be going in for round 2 just yet.
Denise x

User
Posted 15 Feb 2018 at 19:03
Still awaiting the results of my PSMA Gallium 68 scan - my onco' s on holiday! With a post-prostatectomy PSA result of 0.023, I realise it probably won't have picked up anything, but I've no regrets getting it done. I'll keep you all posted.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 14:38

So here we are at Northampton General waiting for hubby to have his PETscan. They rang us on Monday to come today as they only do this type on Wednesdays. I thought it was quite quick considering the MRI results have only just come back after a month of waiting. The waiting is the worst bit. We just want to know what we are facing. Hope everyone is ok
Denise xx

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:34

There are different types of PET scan using different tracers. Chris J's cancer cells manage to avoid being detected despite having 2 kinds of advanced scans. Reliability of tracer can indeed be a problem as some of us have experienced with these but also some cancer cells are so finely dispersed that it is difficult to see them. In other cases, as AC reported, they can show more consolidated cancer areas not previously known about. Then again as in my case one hospital interpreted my scan as cancer in an iliac lymph node whereas 3 other hospitals who looked at the same scan were unconvinced. In short, scans may not provide a definitive result in all cases.

Barry
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 17:49

Hi Barry
I still haven’t managed to discover if my outlook is more bleak with a possible large amount of cells but widely dispersed?? Onco hasn’t offered advice tbh. I’ve got a CT and bone in the next 2 weeks and really quite worried. I’m sort of happy where I am at the moment but know it won’t last forever .-//