I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

steroids how long and what to expect

User
Posted 16 Feb 2018 at 12:32

My father was diagnosed with Prostrate cancer some 15 years ago now, he was told he had aggressive prostrate cancer then.  After the initial shock he went on to have Hormone injections due to the fact he was too old to have the operation at that time. He did really well and is   now 95 years of age and his PSA which has been steady for years is now increasing every month.  Its now 60, was 40 last month.  They have told me they will have to put him on steroids.  I understand  that he may not have long and can tell really as his weight is decreasing and he has lots of other  problems, heart failure, Chronic Kidney Failure.

First of all can anyone tell me the side effects of the steroids, also how long can he take them.   I know hes a grand old age but as with  most everyone's father he is a lovely loving father and grandfather and of course we all want him to be as comfortable as he can.  I am his only carer and also work full time.  He is still very independent and lives on his own at home and still gets out when I take him to the pub and goes himself sometimes in a taxi.    I am around there every day after work, to help out and make sure he has had dinner etc.  I really want to know what to expect so I can ready myself and the grandchildren. I know he will want to stay at home as long as he can. 

Yvonne

User
Posted 16 Feb 2018 at 12:32

My father was diagnosed with Prostrate cancer some 15 years ago now, he was told he had aggressive prostrate cancer then.  After the initial shock he went on to have Hormone injections due to the fact he was too old to have the operation at that time. He did really well and is   now 95 years of age and his PSA which has been steady for years is now increasing every month.  Its now 60, was 40 last month.  They have told me they will have to put him on steroids.  I understand  that he may not have long and can tell really as his weight is decreasing and he has lots of other  problems, heart failure, Chronic Kidney Failure.

First of all can anyone tell me the side effects of the steroids, also how long can he take them.   I know hes a grand old age but as with  most everyone's father he is a lovely loving father and grandfather and of course we all want him to be as comfortable as he can.  I am his only carer and also work full time.  He is still very independent and lives on his own at home and still gets out when I take him to the pub and goes himself sometimes in a taxi.    I am around there every day after work, to help out and make sure he has had dinner etc.  I really want to know what to expect so I can ready myself and the grandchildren. I know he will want to stay at home as long as he can. 

Yvonne

User
Posted 16 Feb 2018 at 15:46

Hello Yvonne and welcome to the site.

Your dad must be very proud of his daughter I'm sure.

Yes, he is a grand old age, but what is age if that person still enjoys his life.

I think that is the thing though isn't it. I do expect you to get help with the steroids effects question (I hope so anyway as I don't have that knowledge). I hope dad, if he goes down the Steroid route, doesn't suffer too many effects.

I know you are here asking for help, but in turn, your post is a positive one for those who have been diagnosed with aggressive PC.

Your dad has survived 15 years with PC following Hormone treatment and that fact will give a boost to some on here so thank you for that information.

Best Wishes
Sandra

Edited by member 16 Feb 2018 at 18:04  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Feb 2018 at 15:46

Hello Yvonne and welcome to the site.

Your dad must be very proud of his daughter I'm sure.

Yes, he is a grand old age, but what is age if that person still enjoys his life.

I think that is the thing though isn't it. I do expect you to get help with the steroids effects question (I hope so anyway as I don't have that knowledge). I hope dad, if he goes down the Steroid route, doesn't suffer too many effects.

I know you are here asking for help, but in turn, your post is a positive one for those who have been diagnosed with aggressive PC.

Your dad has survived 15 years with PC following Hormone treatment and that fact will give a boost to some on here so thank you for that information.

Best Wishes
Sandra

Edited by member 16 Feb 2018 at 18:04  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Feb 2018 at 16:52

Yvonne, the steroids usually involved with prostate cancer treatment are prednisolone and dexamethasone at low doses. They are meant to fight inflammation and so promote healing. A side effect is that they tend to put weight on. This wouldn't be a problem for your Dad! But your father might not be on these, so I'm only guessing. Some men can be on these steroids for years and years but presumably that sort of timescale is unlikely in your Dad's case anyway.

With more info, someone with better knowledge than me may be able to help.

AC