Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is cycling causing cystitis?

User
Posted 16 Feb 2018 at 19:48
Hello again,

I’ve been getting a bit podgy round the waist from HT I believe. My weight isn’t going up so I have changed diet, no chocolate, crisps and much less bread. I’ve trained on turbo trainer 8 times in last 2 weeks and getting back into it.

Here’s the thing...... finished training last night and went for a wee before bath. Agony! Same thing happened tonight. I often get numbness when cycling in the “meat and two veg” area. I try to alleviate it by standing out of saddle and “jiggling”!

Is this bad and do I need to stop this training regime?

User
Posted 18 Feb 2018 at 18:44

Specialized Avatar Comp Gel 3 (padding level) 155 (width) £70. Look on Wiggle as there are loads and you can get saddles with better clearance to the crown jewels.......!!! I'm lucky as there is an Evans Cycles less than a mile away from where I live. They price match with any other on line cycle outfits.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2018 at 10:09

😀😀 I am fortunate enough to have pretty much a “superflow” now but as a result of treatment rather than the saddle 😂

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 08:29

I don't know a definite answer but I do know you can get saddles that make it easier to avoid squashing anything important.

They are divided down the middle or have a cut away section. It might help with pressure

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 08:51

Thanks Sandra,

I think I'll invest in one of those saddles. I and many of my cycling colleagues experience this. The difference now is the combination of PC potentially causing the cystitis symptoms. I don't believe it is a side effect of hormone therapy so must be caused by the periodical trapping of nerves/veins in that area when on the bike. I'll try again later today.

Richard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 09:29

I had the joy of cystitis too, though it took me a while to realise that was what it was. As chance would have it, my kind nephew got us a smoothie maker for Christmas, so each time cystitis appears I blend up a big handful of cranberries, a bit of sugar and some water and drink one of those concoctions for a few days. Works a treat.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 11:48

Add extra fluids to your diet and get a new saddle!

And yes, cranberries aren't a fad, they've been proven to help with various urinary problems - but either fresh cranberries or genuine juice. There's no guarantee that the processed versions have retained any of the properties of the original!

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 12:03
Hi,

I have two saddles - one with a groove down the centre line, the other with a complete cutout. Both bought when I was suffering discomfort but before diagnosis. The complete cutout one has the edge for comfort in the main area of interest but is a bit more uncomfortable in the sit bones area. I have used both on the road and turbo trainer.

Dave

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 17:34

New saddle bought and tested. I think I've cracked it!! Thanks everyone.....

User
Posted 18 Feb 2018 at 09:49

👍👍

User
Posted 18 Feb 2018 at 12:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

New saddle bought and tested. I think I've cracked it!! Thanks everyone.....

What type is it. Info appreciated. Want to get back on my bike soon.

TIA

User
Posted 18 Feb 2018 at 18:44

Specialized Avatar Comp Gel 3 (padding level) 155 (width) £70. Look on Wiggle as there are loads and you can get saddles with better clearance to the crown jewels.......!!! I'm lucky as there is an Evans Cycles less than a mile away from where I live. They price match with any other on line cycle outfits.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2018 at 20:06

Thanks for the info Richard.

Think I might go for a s/h Selle Italia Max SLR; even more space for a needle biopsied perineum and above.

G

User
Posted 18 Feb 2018 at 20:58

The one I have is the Selle Italia SLR SuperFlow.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2018 at 00:35

'SuperFlow' refers to it's resultant effect or...

User
Posted 19 Feb 2018 at 10:09

😀😀 I am fortunate enough to have pretty much a “superflow” now but as a result of treatment rather than the saddle 😂

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 18:15

I haven't been on the bike since Saturday as I'm getting pain when urinating. I also tend to have instances where I need to wee urgently. I drink up to 2 litres of water during the day but never had this previously. I rang the nurse line and was told I may have a urinary infection and should arrange to have a test done.

Anyone have experience of this?

I'm not sure whether to keep off the bike or not?

Richard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 19:54

I don’t see how this could have anything to do with your cancer. When you first posted I assumed you were recovering from RP but as far as I can make out, you haven’t had anything except hormones so far? Infection needs to be explored thoroughly as some UTIs and other pelvic infections are notoriously difficult to diagnose.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 22:19

Correct, I've had 4 weeks on Cyproterone Acetate which ended last Friday and I've had one 4 week Prostap injection. I'm no expert but the coincidence is uncanny (cancer or HT?). I often looked at symptoms and wondered if/why I seemed to be having post RP or RT side effects which is clearly impossible! I don't experience the pain during urination and the sudden "need" to go and pee urgently all of the time but it is more frequent in the last week. I'm sure (not) that all will be clarified at RT planning session next week! I just hope I have the courage/conviction it is the right thing to do to switch to NHS.......!

Regards,

Richard