I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bicalutamide side effects - anaemia

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 00:13
First off, apologies to the community as I feel that I’m always banging on about this treatment, but this is a post just to highlight some side effects I knew nothing about - to others in the same boat

I think everyone will be familiar with the usual side effects but I recently was admitted to hospital with an acute lower tract respiratory infection , had blood tests and I was surprised to find that I had low iron and low haemaglobin - anaemia !!

I did a quick search and low and behold this is yet another common side effect of the hormone therapy. I would never have known but for the blood tests but it goes some way to explaining the fatigue I’ve been having of late

Anyway, if you’re on bicalutamide - then it may be a good idea to take iron supplements- I’ve been prescribed 2 weeks supply and advised to get more from my GP

It never rains..........

(Eating black pudding as I type)

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 09:41
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks very much for that tip. The fatigue is wrecking me, I hadn't even considered anaemia. I did try TCM acupuncture to combat fatigue, but that was an expensive, painful and futile experiment! I shall be skipping off to the shops to get some iron tablets today. If you know the strength that you have been prescribed, I'd appreciate some clues. I wouldn't want to overdo it for fear of becoming magnetic.

From hospital discharge I was prescribed

Ferrous fumarate 210mg x 3 daily

I will go to GP and take his advice on what long term dose to take as a supplement

Hormone therapy causes chaos to the system eh?

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 00:13
First off, apologies to the community as I feel that I’m always banging on about this treatment, but this is a post just to highlight some side effects I knew nothing about - to others in the same boat

I think everyone will be familiar with the usual side effects but I recently was admitted to hospital with an acute lower tract respiratory infection , had blood tests and I was surprised to find that I had low iron and low haemaglobin - anaemia !!

I did a quick search and low and behold this is yet another common side effect of the hormone therapy. I would never have known but for the blood tests but it goes some way to explaining the fatigue I’ve been having of late

Anyway, if you’re on bicalutamide - then it may be a good idea to take iron supplements- I’ve been prescribed 2 weeks supply and advised to get more from my GP

It never rains..........

(Eating black pudding as I type)

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 15:26

Really sounds a lot like thrush. Is your partner also treating otherwise s/he will keep giving it back to you. The cream on its own won’t work if it is thrush - you both would to also take one of the single treatment tablets (can be bought at chemists and big supermarkets).

If thrush isn’t a common occurrence in your house, best for one of you to see the GP to check that it is definitely thrush.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 07:04
Bill

No matter how low my iron was, I don't think I could ever eat black pudding. That stuff is vile.

I'm seeing my oncologist on Wednesday for the results of my PSMA scan. Dreading it and hoping they haven't found anything outside the prostate bed. If they have, I imagine that means hormone therapy.

I hope the iron tablets do the trick and that you are already feeling better.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 09:25

Thanks very much for that tip. The fatigue is wrecking me, I hadn't even considered anaemia. I did try TCM acupuncture to combat fatigue, but that was an expensive, painful and futile experiment! I shall be skipping off to the shops to get some iron tablets today. If you know the strength that you have been prescribed, I'd appreciate some clues. I wouldn't want to overdo it for fear of becoming magnetic.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 09:40
Interesting to see that Bill. I am extremely fatigued on HT and last blood tests on 1st February showed my white cell and neutrophils counts were around 0.9 which is below par. There are a number of side effects possible with HT with each of us reacting slightly differently. I am sure the iron tablets and black pudding will do the trick!

Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 17 Feb 2018 at 09:41

From hospital discharge I was prescribed

Ferrous fumarate 210mg x 3 daily

I will go to GP and take his advice on what long term dose to take as a supplement

Hormone therapy causes chaos to the system eh?

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 15:22
For anyone who has had/is on bicalutamide, I have a few questions:

Have anyone experienced penile rash type symptoms? Particularly inside the foreskin and head of penis

Since starting on HT 3 months ago this is becoming a recurring problem. I’ve had a bit of a google-search into it and it might be thrush - more common in women than men but due to the HT may make men more prone to - also I was put on antibiotics twice and this issue coincided twice with that - apparently antibiotics can kill off helpful bacteria that keep fungal/yeast type organisms at bay

I’ve treated it with canestan cream which seems to help but after having sex it returns again. I really really wish I didn’t need to be on HT as I’ve had annoying issues that I never had before

And here is a very weird thing that I woke up with this morning - a 1cm blister right on the centre of my kneecap !!! Totally unexplained - I haven’t been kneeling/working/leaning on anything - it looks like the kind of large clear fluid blister that you get on your heel with new shoes - or maybe also like a burn

I’m totally stumped, even thinking that my wife’s furry covered hot water bottle might have been in constant contact with my kneecap but that’s a long shot

Like I said - totally stumped here - it has now burst by itself and I carefully cleans and dressed it

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 15:26

Really sounds a lot like thrush. Is your partner also treating otherwise s/he will keep giving it back to you. The cream on its own won’t work if it is thrush - you both would to also take one of the single treatment tablets (can be bought at chemists and big supermarkets).

If thrush isn’t a common occurrence in your house, best for one of you to see the GP to check that it is definitely thrush.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 15:54
Bill

So sorry to read of your ongoing trials. I've been on bicalutimide for two weeks now. I'm tired, but that could be psychological.

Please do keep us informed as to your progress - it may be of use to those of us who are behind you.

In Belfast, GPs often told people low in iron to drink a pint of Guinness per day. At least that's what my friends said!

Ulsterman

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 15:54
Thanks Lyn

I will pick up some of those tomorrow and visit GP with my wife

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 15:56
Lol Ulsterman

I’m a Scot, you are from Ireland

You hate black pudding and I can’t stand Guinness 😂😂😂

But I could learn to like it for the sake of medicinal use 😃

Edited by member 04 Mar 2018 at 16:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 17:16
Just for the record I’m a Scot who likes black pudding and Guinness! Can’t remember when I last drunk Guineas though.

My great grandparents on my mothers side we’re from Northern Ireland. GPs in Scotland have been known in the past to recommend stout to help low iron levels.

🍺😂

Ido4

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 17:26
Just for the record I’m a Scot who likes black pudding and Guinness! Can’t remember when I last drunk Guineas though.

My great grandparents on my mothers side we’re from Northern Ireland. GPs in Scotland have been known in the past to recommend stout to help low iron levels.

🍺😂

Yes mate, my gran used to say this when we were young

I’m definitely going to adopt the pint of Guinness a day medicine though

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 17:31

When I was having all my babies, the only alcohol that was allowed on maternity wards was stout. If you didn’t like it, tough - the midwives used to tell us to hold our nose and drink it. As a teetotaller, I was seen as a naughty patient.