I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

About time

User
Posted 21 Feb 2018 at 08:59
After a break in treatment apart from thr monthly Prostap and daily dexamethasone, my husband’s oncologist has recommended docetaxel . From his scans the bone was clear but the lung tumour has grown as the lung nodules has increased in number. His oncologist has told him that ideally he should have ten sessions but looking at him I doubt that will happen, he puts Ona good front when seeing his oncologist but at home he is lethargic and unable to go out socially. I do worry that he is just going downhill. The PSA indicates that doubling time is four months. Here’s hoping that chemotherapy will do the trick
User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 15:28

Hello bluetrew,

Fingers crossed for your husband that the chemo will help him.

Don't forget to send him off for it with his frozen pineapple sticks or ice cubes (or frozen ice pops)

A good tip on the site recently (sorry, can't remember who said it) but they take the frozen stuff in a flask and it lasts a lot longer.

Hope that helps

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 18:02

Bluetrew, my experience which others have found was that taste buds were unaffected during the docetaxel infusions. I tended to be in the chemo suite around lunch times and I was even happy to eat the cardboard sandwiches brought round!

I was able have have only six cycles of chemo because it caused multiple embolisms in my lungs, showing as breathlessness in the fourth cycle, getting worse subsequently, being put down wrongly to fluid in my lungs. In view of your husband's lung problems, I would advise being very watchful for this arising in his case. If it arises, get a scan done and I expect he would take blood thinning medication to deal with the issue. It is a known side effect of docetaxel but occurs rarely. I was just unlucky. While it lasted, the chemo was very effective in bringing my PSA down and got rid of mets including one by my airway into my lungs, so I would expect it to work against the lung mets.

Good Luck

AC

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 15:28

Hello bluetrew,

Fingers crossed for your husband that the chemo will help him.

Don't forget to send him off for it with his frozen pineapple sticks or ice cubes (or frozen ice pops)

A good tip on the site recently (sorry, can't remember who said it) but they take the frozen stuff in a flask and it lasts a lot longer.

Hope that helps

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 18:02

Bluetrew, my experience which others have found was that taste buds were unaffected during the docetaxel infusions. I tended to be in the chemo suite around lunch times and I was even happy to eat the cardboard sandwiches brought round!

I was able have have only six cycles of chemo because it caused multiple embolisms in my lungs, showing as breathlessness in the fourth cycle, getting worse subsequently, being put down wrongly to fluid in my lungs. In view of your husband's lung problems, I would advise being very watchful for this arising in his case. If it arises, get a scan done and I expect he would take blood thinning medication to deal with the issue. It is a known side effect of docetaxel but occurs rarely. I was just unlucky. While it lasted, the chemo was very effective in bringing my PSA down and got rid of mets including one by my airway into my lungs, so I would expect it to work against the lung mets.

Good Luck

AC