Show search

Notification

Error

Post Turp stricture

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 11:06

Hello

I had a TURP in Oct, 2017.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer 17th. November.

I have had an MRI which confirmed low grade cancer.

Cancer has now taken a back seat due to further complications.

The reduction was amazingly successful for a few weeks but in December the symptoms regarding frequency and flow returned.

I'm going to have a cystoscopy 8th March to see what's going wrong. I believe it's a stricture, one was found during the TURP, or was caused by the TURP. After that I need biopsies and possibly urethral dilation.

I'm told that if this is not successful I will need to live with self catheter dialation. I find it hard to accept this.

I have done some research online and see that stricture repairs are common and have a good chance of a successful outcome. I have not been offered this option but I could be jumping the gun as dialation my work but I'm worried as this has not been suggested. Simply, if the dialation is unsuccessful, I am faced with self catheter dialation.

I would be very thankful for any help with this

Kind regards Jess..

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 15:21

Hello Jess and welcome to the site.

We do have men on here who have had stricture problems and hopefully one of them will be along to advise you so please don't give up on us yet.

Sometimes it takes a while for answers to appear so please don't think you are being ignored

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 16:31
Jess I have a stricture caused by Robotic surgery so it may need a different approach. If you put "plan" into the search box you should come up with "that was not in the plan" a bit of a horror story and not over yet. Intermitent self dilatation is quite easy once you start doing it and get your head round it. Following RT I was still doing ISD but passing lots of blood, clots and debris. I was advised too stop ISD in September last year and since then my flow has increased so I can only assume the ISD was causing trauma to the stricture.

I found doing progressive ISD kept me out of theatre for a while, I would pass a 12, then 14, 16 and 18.

There are numerous types and tips on catheters you just need to find the one that is right for you.

Bri may come along and tell you his experience, quite different from mine.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris