I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The way forward

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 11:36
My husband is just coming to the end of 7+ weeks of radiotherapy, and we are both struggling with fatigue!

He has coped reasonably with the treatment,there have been a few hiccups along the way, but the next stage seems so uncertain. Hormone implants will continue for the next three years, and additional hormone tables for a while, dependent on psa levels, but we are finding it hard to see the future.

We both know the importance of being positive, but right now we are so weary it is very difficult!

Does anyone have any advice?

User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 15:19

Hello Mikesmum,
Sorry can't help with the query but bumping you because I'm sure somebody else can

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Feb 2018 at 17:48

Hi Mikesmum,

I had 4 weeks of RT and that was tiring, so 7+ weeks must be extremely tiring. 

Fatigue is a recognised side effect of both RT and HT, plus the travelling to and from treatment, and the underlying stress of the treatment, filling the bladder etc, it would be strange not to feel fatigued. 

Once RT is finished things should be less demanding and just one treatment to deal with.

HT itself can cause fatigue and I think it helps to be as active as you can to keep off the worst of the fatigue. I'm walking, increased half hour to an hour now.

G

User
Posted 23 Feb 2018 at 08:57
Graham61

Thanks for your reply,we have continued to walk as much as we can throughout all the treatment so far, we both feel the benefit of being outside as much as possible. Muscle aches and pains have been a particular problem for my husband, and it has been especially difficult to see someone who has always been very active struggle to walk more than a mile and a half at a time (20/25 miles a week was the norm prior to treatments)

We have noticed that his body seems to be adjusting to hormone treatment,hot flushes are less, and the last implant caused less problems than previous times, so we hope that when radiotherapy finished next week things will become easier!

Mind you the warnings we have been given about reactions in the first few weeks after radiotherapy ends are slightly worrying. Fingers crossed!

Mikesmum