Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Total lymph node removal

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 22:13
Hi all,

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 7 weeks ago. A Gleason score of 7 (4+3) and a PSA of 35.

Yesterday he had his prostate removed and discovered it was attached to his rectum. They also removed all his lymph nodes.

Why would they remove all of his lymph nodes?

Anyone have any similar experiences they are happy to share with me?

Thanks

Claire

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 17:55

I too had 18 lymph nodes removed. All non-cancerous. Perhaps one day they'll be able to determine that without removal! Watch out for lymphodoema. Swollen legs and belly. Almost always follows when so many lymph nodes are removed. In my case I carry an extra half stone in fluid weight as a result. No effective way around the problem, I'm afraid.

AC

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 10:42

From the lymphodema website:-

The body has between 501 and 700 lymph nodes (the number of nodes varies from individual to individual). About half of the nodes are in the middle of your body (stomach or abdominal cavity). The lymph nodes near your armpits and groin have about 100 nodes.”

Edited by member 03 Mar 2018 at 10:43  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 01:27

Hi Claire,
are you sure they have removed all of his lymph nodes (armpit? throat?) or did you just mean they have removed the lymph nodes in his pelvis?

Assuming it is the lymph nodes near his prostate that have been removed, there are a number of possible explanations. Some surgeons remove the lymphs routinely for all men having the RP (surgical removal of the prostate) while others will remove just one or two for checking. Sometimes the surgeon can see during the op that the lymphs have some cancer in them and they decide to remove them while they are in there.

Dad should be able to ask someone on the ward to explain the reason, if he hadn't been told beforehand that it was planned to happen.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 07:33

I had 18 removed during the procedure from just the prostate , bladder , pelvis area. Five were cancerous. I’m not sure how many there are in total.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 10:42

From the lymphodema website:-

The body has between 501 and 700 lymph nodes (the number of nodes varies from individual to individual). About half of the nodes are in the middle of your body (stomach or abdominal cavity). The lymph nodes near your armpits and groin have about 100 nodes.”

Edited by member 03 Mar 2018 at 10:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 06:18

I am one year post op  Da Vinci  had 21 nodes removed from  around pelvis area two of which were cancerous .Was not discussed pre op  ,informed by surgeon afterwards also  non nerve sparring .

Kevin

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 17:55

I too had 18 lymph nodes removed. All non-cancerous. Perhaps one day they'll be able to determine that without removal! Watch out for lymphodoema. Swollen legs and belly. Almost always follows when so many lymph nodes are removed. In my case I carry an extra half stone in fluid weight as a result. No effective way around the problem, I'm afraid.

AC