Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate Cancer Worries

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 09:12

Hi

Going through a worrying time at the moment. Hope someone can give me some advice.

Had testicular cancer in 1989, aged 41,  pretty bad time with the chemo but got through it and cured. Had a bit of a cancer phobia ever since, worrying about the slightest thing.

Fast forward 29 years to September 2016, went to GP as had been getting up once in the night to pee and a bit of urgency at times during the day. GP did PSA test (1.84)  and later DRE  (Nothing found)  GP said probably BPH, no need to worry.  Annual blood test in  June 2017 PSA was 2.4. Had another blood test in August 2017 and the nurse said might as well do the PSA again - It came back as 5 so referred to Urologist. Saw Uro in August and he gave me 2 choices, either repeat PSA test in 6 months or biopsy. Opted for biopsy which was done in September 2017. Biopsy showed no malignancy but showed ASAP. Prostate Volume 39cc. URO  ordered another PSA test in 3 months to be followed by MRI and further biopsy.  December 2017 PSA came back as 2.01  Had MRI in January 2018 - came back Pirads 4 lesion of 1cm in intermediate Zone. Went to see URO again this week and he gave me choice of  another PSA test in 3 months or Template biopsy. He wouldn't recommend which route I should follow and said it was my decision so have opted for biopsy even though the easy way out would have been to wait 3 months.

My worry now is the amount of time it has taken to get where I am today and if it is Pca, is it still contained.  Also have I taken the right decisions. Had I originally opted for a second PSA test instead of biopsy, I would have been discharged now but still might have had Pca.

Any advice would be appreciated

Terry

PS Template biopsy scheduled for late April

Edited by member 12 Mar 2018 at 08:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 16:47

Hello Terry and welcome

Sorry I don't have the knowledge you need but just popped on to say that I expect you'll get a reply at some stage but weekends are usually quieter so please be patient, and don't assume you are being ignored

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 16:54

Hi Terry,

It’s understandable that you would be feeling anxious about this.

I would have opted for the biopsy too, much more accurate than PSA.

The Template Biopsy will accurately target the lesion you mentioned and pathology will be show what type of cells are present. When I had my Template B. I was told only 1 in 4 lesions are PCa.

If the choice between PSA test or Template B. were critical I think the Uro. would have given a recommendation.

I’m sure if they had found anything of concern during the recent MRI scan they would have given you an immediate template biopsy.

G

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 17:53

Hi Terry

Biopsy or not decision includes emotions, how you see the risk, and your attitude to risk. So the right decision for each is the one they make. You made the decision so now relax.

Bear in mind at 69 some PCa cells are not unexpected and they may never harm you.

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 08:53

Thanks for the replies. I will update after template biopsy.  PCa is a strange disease.  On the face of it, my PSA at 2 has hardly changed in over 18 months even though there was a spike in between. Had I originally opted for a further PSA test, I would be sitting here now thinking all was well.  One thing the URO didn't really answer was does the MRI show if the cancer(if there is one) is still contained. The Doc said it is in the intermediate zone so is in bang in the middle. Keep thinking now that I have had a backache for ages and aching muscles in the thighs - probably nothing but hard not to think about it.

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 09:48
Yet another case of a TRUS biopsy leading to a template biopsy months later!

If you had a hi-res MRI they will be able to see exactly where in the prostate the lesion is and whether it’s contained in the capsule. Moreover with a template biopsy, they will be able to target the lesion to take samples from exactly that spot, rather than the scattergun approach used in a TRUS biopsy.

The biopsy should be no big deal, a few hours in hospital, a deep sleep and then peeing razor blades for a day or so where the catheter was inserted.

You should know then exactly where you stand and I am sure you have done the right thing.

Good luck!

Edited by member 12 Mar 2018 at 12:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 22:22

Terry,

Unfortunately, in many instances you don't know if you have taken the best option, even later on. There are highly respected consultants that will say if you have a normal MRI you don't have prostate cancer. Yet we know that sometimes MRI does not show up all tumours contrary to what my doctor seems to belive is the case as in this video, regardless of what the quoted triais are said to show. We know exceptions have been reported on this forum. He does say how poor the TRUS biopsy is though and that the template biopsy is the "gold standard":- https://vimeo.com/169926390

Edited by member 13 Mar 2018 at 03:34  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 04:03

Very interesting video Barry. The doctor confirmed what I had already worked out for myself during my brief acquaintance with PCa.

John