I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Going the Extra Mile(s)

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 16:47

I didn't know in which section to post this as it relates to cancer but not PCa.  It is the touching and encouraging story of Ashya King and the lengths his parents went to to get Proton Beam treatment for Ashya's brain tumour.  It is still too early to be sure the cancer won't come back but he is doing well and at the time of the report no cancer can be seen in his head.  In fact people with head tumours, particularly children, were being sent to the USA for Proton Beam treatment long before Ashya went to Prague. My second opinion was one of the consultants instrumental in securing funding for such cases. Proton Beam has been (is being) used in a growing number of countries to treat PCa too but although theoretically superior to EBRT has not demonstrated such great advantage for PCa as for head tumours.  Here is a link to this updated story:- https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20180303/281496456783963

Barry
User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 19:21

As is often the case, the media doesn’t necessarily have the full facts and the evidence used in family court hearings is kept confidential.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 19:48
My onco at The Christie tells me that their new proton beam won’t be used for PCa and he said that there was evidence that it may increase toxicity
User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 20:10

Proton beam therapy will be used in the UK for some brain tumours, eye cancers, and hard to reach areas where the additional rays would be extremely damaging to the surrounding tissue. It may also be used for very young children who cannot have normal RT.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 20:29

No surprise about Proton Beam being reserved for cancers where it's superiority over Photon treatment has been proven, so PCa will not be covered. Clatterbridge have had a low Powered Proton Beam facility for over a decade but it is able to treat little more than eyes. Members of a US forum report favourably on Proton Beam for PCa but it has to be remembered that many men like to feel that they were justified in their treatment choice, particularly where it was expensive.

Regardless, it would be interesting to know whether The Christie have their Proton facility treating patients yet. UCLH in London is the other UK centre that will provide this form of Hadron treatment but again most unlikely for PCa, except perhaps in a very limited study.

Barry