Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Setting up a stricter regime - suggestions welcome

User
Posted 06 Mar 2018 at 19:42

Hi all

Nearly 10 months post RP with a possible relapse so am ramping up the lifestyle changes to try and help. Been a wee bit sloppy to date so need to pull my socks up.

I thought I would share what I am doing to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I am using a habit tracker app to keep an eye on things and motivate myself.

Thanks in advance!

What I am continuing / ramping up:

- Mediterranean diet (veg and seafood as per PCa guidelines, small amounts of good carbs, no meat or dairy at all, no booze https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

- Green tea

- Trying to cut down on coffee https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

- Daily Vitamin D3 5000iu

- Daily Aspirin 75mg

- Fasting diet (3 days 600, 4 days 1600 calories) - still overweight - need to get below 10% bf

- Strength based excercise with HIIT cardio 3 days a week (fitter than I was 20 years ago now)

- Meditation (just starting, and boy it sucks to start this!)

What I am looking at trying

- The Wim Hof technique (for all the hype, there is scientific evidence about his cold and breathing regimes affecting immune response)

- Turmeric supplements (POMI-T ?)

Any other suggestions as to lifestyle, diet or supplementatoin?

Cheers

Prostate Pete

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 09:09

Hi Pete

It sounds like you've ticked all the boxes, except the 'enjoying yourself' one!  My feeling is don't be too strict on yourself or too fixated, and remember to do what you want.  Despite this stupid disease, life can be still be fun!

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 10:34

I'm on a Mediterranean diet including lashings of Red Wine!!

Enjoy and have fun!!

:-))

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 10:58

Hi Pete,

I would echo Grahamt, rather than subject yourself to a "strict" regime, to make small sensible changes that will improve your wellbeing (physical and mental) over a period of time. This way you'll be less likely to "jack everything in" when you hit a "bad day".

So, personally, I would reconsider the "fasting diet" to eating more sensibly (to me this means eating smaller portions of good quality food: more fruit, more vegetables etc. as well as less (not no) meat and dairy, cutting out processed food and refined sugar, avoid plastic etc.  - well worth looking up the Jane Plant diet and the accompanying book. Talking of which.....

re. alcohol, Jane said....."Do not drink alcohol, except for the occasional real ale, lager or quality organic wine" - so you can have that pint of Old Peculiar. I must say though I'm more with Pablito on this one!

Ona more serious note, the PCF also have some literature on diet and PCa.

You mentioned supplements, well I take Pomi-T, PectaSol-C (MCP), Grapeseed extract, Vit D3. I drink pomegranate juice (Pom) and green tea - do they help (with PCa)? - I really couldn't say. The evidence is either pretty thin or at best circumstantial, but hey-ho, I do feel better for taking them. I also try and eat the real stuff too on a regular basis - broccoli, turmeric, herbs, spices.

Flexi

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 12:11

Hi Pete

I’m certainly with Pablito, I’d even include white wine.
Getting Pca is a big enough kick in the teeth, so why remove some of the pleasures of life. Life is too short.

I’d love to know how your description of if a diet has anything to do with the Mediterranean. Living in Italy it doesn’t compare with what I know of what Italians, French and Spanish eat. Maybe the Greeks are different.

Cheers
Stu

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 12:24

Hello all I start RT in April, I've read a little about diet. Don't mind veg and fish. But I've been a bit reluctant when it comes to alcohol. I never drink in the week but love a gallon on a Saturday. I couldn't drink just two, when I start, I start. Haha
At the moment I am fit and feel well, I just happen to have PCa, I don't actually know what will happen to me if I misbehave with alcohol and food, Nobody has yet told me.

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:42

Enjoy a glass of red myself but only indulge occasionally. Alcohol other than in small quantities and infrequently can be bad for you potentially initiating mouth cancer and other things - google it!

Barry
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 16:51
User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 17:07
Hiya Pete,

I've always really looked after myself regarding diet, exercise and relaxation and staying updated with the current information. I have always drank beer and wine, sometimes to excess. Because of all this I felt bulletproof with regards to longevity. Then I get PCa, and I went through all the revaluation of life thing, you know, how could this happen to me etc. But...I've resumed my healthy living and added the extra supplemental help ( turmeric, vitamin d3 and aspirin ) Of course ,all of this may have no impact whatsoever.For me it's about being proactive and in control which equals hope. I don't find my regime difficult to maintain nor am I pressurised by it,and I enjoy life to the full. Good for you mate, we all do what works for us. All my best .

Paul

User
Posted 07 Mar 2018 at 23:01

Tomatoes; contain lycopenes,  a strong anti-oxidant. Best: sun dried, then tomato paste, puree, then ketchup and then uncooked.

Processing and cooking concentrates the lypocenes, eating with a bit of olive oil helps the body to absorb better.

Statins. After treatment my GP put me on Statins even though I had only a slightly raised cholesterol. I checked them out and research has shown they give some protection against PCa reoccurrence.