Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Leaky Bladder

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 18:14

Hi

In December 2017 an annual blood test picked up a PSA of 11. What followed was a whirl wind of more blood test, MRI scan and a Biopsy.

All culminating in a "Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy" early in February this year.

All is well and I'm healing very well, at 5 weeks post op I'm back playing sport and carrying on with a normal life. Reading some of the articles on the website it appears that I have had a rather easy time.

My only concern is that I have a leaky bladder. I find that in bed or sitting I have normal feelings and control which enables me getting to the bathroom as usual.

Its during the day with bending, twisting and just doing everyday activities, that I have no feeling of bladder content and no control to prevent leakage. I'm undertaking Pelvic Floor muscle exercises religiously as set out by a physiotherapist but to no obvious improvement.

Can anybody tell me if this is the norm at 5 weeks? Is there something else I need to do or am I just being impatient with the circumstances?

User
Posted 10 Mar 2018 at 18:45

I hesitate to say it but you have possibly gone back to normal activities too soon. There is a lot of repairing to be done and you have to relearn bladder control in the same way as when you were a toddler - that means a lot more concentration than you may be able to give if you are overdoing things. You are also putting yourself at increased risk of a hernia. Perhaps slow down a bit?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 Mar 2018 at 23:03

I am 14months post RARP and the subject/question of and understanding of continence dominates my life.  I wonder (because I don't know) if different or more was cut for you / me and that difference made a difference to how continent we are?  I can tell you that for me I have total control during the day and at night sometimes I have leaks - why - I don't know.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 12:59

Hi Nomad

An interesting scenario. I had only the prostate removed ( intact ). Strangely enough it is during the day that I have the problem. Just a continuous dribble now and again with no feeling or control. At night I'm fine, all night no problems. 

It appears to happen when I'm vertical, gravity I suspect !!!

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 14:30

Three months post op, bladder control not good to begin with but has improved greatly in the last couple of weeks. Just keep doing the exercises.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2018 at 14:53
It took me about 5 months to get back to an almost pre op position but just had occasional stress induced leaks from lifting, sneezing etc. I guess it depends on exactly what was done to each one of us as to how recovery goes. I have to admit that once I accepted that I was one of those who wasn't going to recover as quick so stop worrying and get on with things my recovery improved a lot quicker. I still wear a light pad in case of a rogue sneeze and my brain doesn’t always realise when my bladder is full, but I have never had any embarrassing incidents and in my head I am back to normal.

All the best

Kevan

User
Posted 20 Mar 2018 at 11:41

Thanks Guys
Knowing you all have different experiences and problems helps greatly in putting my mind at peace. I just need to be patient and as mentioned keep doing the exercises.