I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Story of a Mentor

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 15:26

I  came across this very long story of one of our members who for many years arranged the annual meeting at the Mill-on-the-Soar of his Bollocks to PCa group to which a number of this forum attends  George has now handed over the organizing of this event to those running this charity but I thought it fitting to post his story as a Mentor for the YANA forum , a support group which gets a mention from time to time on this forum. Although a lot concerns regular check ups, there is much of interest in his story.  Well done George and look forward to seeing you at the meet this year DV. http://www.yananow.org/display_story.php?id=376

Barry
User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 15:26

I  came across this very long story of one of our members who for many years arranged the annual meeting at the Mill-on-the-Soar of his Bollocks to PCa group to which a number of this forum attends  George has now handed over the organizing of this event to those running this charity but I thought it fitting to post his story as a Mentor for the YANA forum , a support group which gets a mention from time to time on this forum. Although a lot concerns regular check ups, there is much of interest in his story.  Well done George and look forward to seeing you at the meet this year DV. http://www.yananow.org/display_story.php?id=376

Barry
User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 20:20

Brilliant - George and his lovely family are among the loveliest people I have ever met xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 21:16

I do believe that George invented hormone holidays, unfortunately I’ve never been in a position to take one, maybe some day.

From one Geordie to another keep battling on George.

Stu

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 21:24

Hhhmmph - that's the only problem with George - he is a Sunderland supporter

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 22:08

Well guess that makes him a Mackem not a Geordie. But it’s not his fault.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 23:32

Well it is - he could have converted or just moved north of the river :-/

More evidence that George isn't perfect - when I run the GNR it goes right past his garden gate but he has never once come out and given me a cigarette

Edited by member 21 Mar 2018 at 23:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 13:52

George, delighted to see that you're on the mend and I shall shake your hand (at last) in June. Whether it is as an Old Codger (YANA) or the Scots variant on this site we have been running parallel paths for ever, it seems - and SURVIVING! Keep the faith.

AC

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 16:50

Hi George

Really sorry to read of your bout of depression, I guess the fact you are writing and talking about it is half the battle in over coming it. I’m sure you’ll be soon back to your normal dozy self.

My son who’s 38 suffers a lot from depression and sometimes all he wants is a big hug, which is pretty difficult, as he lives in Melbourne. The phone calls aren’t always pleasant.

I see your team is going pretty strong holding up the whole league. I always knew you were a Geordie.

Take care, and keep battling on. 🙂
Stu

Edited by member 24 Mar 2018 at 18:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 16:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I know you're off to sunnier climes, Lyn.https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Are you avoiding me?https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

I am only avoiding you until I know for sure that Newcastle are staying up :-) 

Really sorry that you have had depression and not felt able to talk about it - it is amazing to see how quickly societal attitudes are changing now though and this was particularly noticeable last night on Sport Relief. One of my daughters spoke at a national event yesterday about employer responsibilities to support employees with mental health issues - she was sharing the podium with a woman with imposter syndrome and a couple of senior execs from large multinationals talking about their own battles with the black dog. Hopefully now you have had a good oncology review, your mind will be eased x  

User
Posted 25 Mar 2018 at 02:32

Thought you had not posted for quite a time George and did wonder how you were keeping - now understand. Hope satisfactory medical update helps, I am sure more people go through dark periods than they are prepared to admit. Certainly, as we age we develop other problems apart from those due to PCa and how that affects us, yet more to come to terms with!

Anyway, good to hear from you and very best wishes.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 20:20

Brilliant - George and his lovely family are among the loveliest people I have ever met xxx

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 21:16

I do believe that George invented hormone holidays, unfortunately I’ve never been in a position to take one, maybe some day.

From one Geordie to another keep battling on George.

Stu

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 21:24

Hhhmmph - that's the only problem with George - he is a Sunderland supporter

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 22:08

Well guess that makes him a Mackem not a Geordie. But it’s not his fault.

User
Posted 21 Mar 2018 at 23:32

Well it is - he could have converted or just moved north of the river :-/

More evidence that George isn't perfect - when I run the GNR it goes right past his garden gate but he has never once come out and given me a cigarette

Edited by member 21 Mar 2018 at 23:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Mar 2018 at 17:26

OMG BARRY. What a blast from the past that was.https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

I didn't know anything about this post till a fellow Geordie friend of mine, someone who has been on here forever, Alan (Art on this site) mentioned it in a phone call.

Shocked as I was, your post couldn't have come at a better time.

I've been ill and down for months and am just on the point of a return to my normal crazy self.

Reading the Yana story reminded me how active I had been since my diagnosis and the 'orrible, pessimistic prognosis back in 2005.

Barry, you've given me the 'kick' I needed to start the battle again, THANK YOU.

Incidentally, it's 13yrs tomorrow (24th March) since that first PSA came back at 182, ahd then I was in the whirlwind of treatments we all face.

Since November gone, I have been in a dark pit of depression and despair (although I did get to our annual meet at The Euston Flyer in London early December. But I must admit, it took a few Diazepam pills to get me there.https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

It was a combination of being hit by too many viruses last year and sheer stress.

Perhaps the 13yr fight tired me too, because chronic fatigue was ruining my days, I knew PSA was rising quickly, I had worrying symptoms, and for the first time in my life I felt as though I'd ran out of steam.

Guys, if you have ever been struck with serious depression, please know that you're not alone. I know there are many of us here who have suffered it.

I honestly felt as though i couldn't fight my way back, but now, with great help from my GP and Oncologist, I do seee the light at the end of the tunnel.

Just a handful of friends knew about this, because we men are notorious for keeping things bottled up.

However, those worries I had about symptoms were dispelled on Tuesday when I met with my onco. All my scans are good, and even though my PSA had risen to 11.0, it's par for the course for me , and I have to re-start Hormone Theraapy.

My last jab was in Oct 2016, and I haven't had much of a 'holiday' from it this time round.

Once the PSA started to rise quickly over 3 months, my onco and I knew that it's the micro-mets in my lymphatic system that are active again

But Zoladex will hammer them down again, I'm sure.

The only illnesses I have which ARE a damn nuisance are:

1) Osteoartritis in my hands, coupled with preipheral neuropathy in the fingers. That makes writing or typing a massive task, I wouldn't dare admit how long it took me to type and edit this!https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

2) Cerebral small vessel disease. I can't concrntrate and I forget too many things on a daily basis.

Mind you, over the years I've always been on the dozy side at times, haven't I?https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

But enough of the serious stuff.

It was great to see the replies from Stu and Lyn.

Let's get this 'Geordie issue' sorted.

I AM a Gerodie, living on the banks of the river Tyne in Jarrow. Yes, it is South Tyneside, but who on earth would prefer living up river and over the bridge into the likes of Byker and Benwell?

My choice of football team (and coincidentally .....wife!https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif) has been Sunderland, so yes, I'm drawn to 'Mackems'.

I was 7 when I started going to Roker Park (as was), and 15 when Lynn and I got together.

And Lyn, regarding you never getting a ciggie from me when you do the Great north Run?

Howay man! As lovely as you are, there s no way I could wait 4 hours after watching Mo Farrah pass my house, standing around till you stagger past with the 'tidy-up' team with thier big  brushes only yards behind you.

I need to pee a lot you know!

Thank you all for the cheer up, and now it must be time for me to start nudging those who can to get themselves to our annual summer 'do' at The Mill On The Soar on June 23rd!

I know you're off to sunnier climes, Lyn.https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

Are you avoiding me?https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

Edited by member 23 Mar 2018 at 17:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 13:52

George, delighted to see that you're on the mend and I shall shake your hand (at last) in June. Whether it is as an Old Codger (YANA) or the Scots variant on this site we have been running parallel paths for ever, it seems - and SURVIVING! Keep the faith.

AC

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 16:50

Hi George

Really sorry to read of your bout of depression, I guess the fact you are writing and talking about it is half the battle in over coming it. I’m sure you’ll be soon back to your normal dozy self.

My son who’s 38 suffers a lot from depression and sometimes all he wants is a big hug, which is pretty difficult, as he lives in Melbourne. The phone calls aren’t always pleasant.

I see your team is going pretty strong holding up the whole league. I always knew you were a Geordie.

Take care, and keep battling on. 🙂
Stu

Edited by member 24 Mar 2018 at 18:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Mar 2018 at 16:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I know you're off to sunnier climes, Lyn.https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Are you avoiding me?https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

I am only avoiding you until I know for sure that Newcastle are staying up :-) 

Really sorry that you have had depression and not felt able to talk about it - it is amazing to see how quickly societal attitudes are changing now though and this was particularly noticeable last night on Sport Relief. One of my daughters spoke at a national event yesterday about employer responsibilities to support employees with mental health issues - she was sharing the podium with a woman with imposter syndrome and a couple of senior execs from large multinationals talking about their own battles with the black dog. Hopefully now you have had a good oncology review, your mind will be eased x  

User
Posted 25 Mar 2018 at 02:32

Thought you had not posted for quite a time George and did wonder how you were keeping - now understand. Hope satisfactory medical update helps, I am sure more people go through dark periods than they are prepared to admit. Certainly, as we age we develop other problems apart from those due to PCa and how that affects us, yet more to come to terms with!

Anyway, good to hear from you and very best wishes.

Barry